Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i just bought my first SAAB, 900 SE turbo 1996. this maybe a dumb question but maybe some one can help me out.
when i'm starting the car the starter sounds like it's an air start and the lights in the car get dim? is this normal? or do i have to replace the starter..
thank's ;)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Seconded. Bad starters generally a) don't engage the starting gear on the flywheel fully or at all, or b) don't do anything. Dimming lights on start (where you're of course running only off the battery) means poor battery voltage. Most batteries have a manufacturing date, and sometimes the place that sells them or the installer actually punches out the holes on the 'date installed' sticker; check that.

Can you define 'air start'?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Can you define 'air start'?
Air start is what some big rigs and very large engines use to start the engines, compressed air is forced into the cylinders forcing the engine to turn over, they have a VERY distinctive sound, plus no batteries required for starting ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Air start is what some big rigs and very large engines use to start the engines, compressed air is forced into the cylinders forcing the engine to turn over, they have a VERY distinctive sound, plus no batteries required for starting ;)
yes your right but thats what it sounds like when i crank it over.

i will check to see if the (bat) has the correct (cca) for the car, bat looks new but it's not (oem).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts