Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on our "new" ng - the starter seems to create a VERY loud whine untill it cranks over. I was initially thinking this could be a poor battery - but the cranking/whine noise is not a slow sound. Any idea what could cause this? The cranking noise usually is less when the car's been run and started a few times prior - if it sits, could take up to 10 seconds for it to start.... any ideas? :roll:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Burnside
This is what I hope the starter noise is not :
The starter gear not engaging the ring gear properly and this part is worn down in spots.
An engine usually has a tendency to stop in one of serveral spots on the ring gear, these teeth do take a beating after 100 to 200 K miles and thousands of starts.
The solution is to R and R the power pack, pull this gear from the torque converter or flywheel and reposition it - after cleaning the sharp edges.
But if really bad, a man may as well renew this ring gear.

At least this did occur on the older Saabs (900 Classic) and other cars as well.
And well the teeth are not meshing - an awful grinding racket is made..
It is far better to have the starter gear a bit softer metal than the ring gear.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
makes sense - but the sound doesnt in my mind match up with what I know of a "bad ring gear" in my mind from what i've heard in the past. Could be tho - it's a PITA job i'm sure on the ng as any car would be to replace the gear itself. I'm thinking battery still in hopes - but I'm not 100% sure. Kinda afraid to find out.... :roll:

·
Registered
51 Posts
A battery ?? Seriously doubt it
The worse the battery, the quieter the starter
Pull the starter, see how it looks
Have a friend turn over the engine as you hear the starter operation ,using a stethoscope or a long screwdriver.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Burns,

I had the same thing happen to my car a while back. Your starter is going out. The noise is only going to get worse, and progressively take longer to start the car up.

This link is how I found out mine was going bad. (Click on "Noise at Startup" Under the Electrical Category)
Starter Failure

Here's how to replace it
Removal and Installation

They're somewhat pricey new, so you may want to check out a junk yard.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh crap - my mom's not gonna like that :roll: Are they easy to pull and swap? I've seen where they are on the 9000 - and I hope I never need to do that one... but it's not VERY hard - was wondering if the ng made it easier.... guess it's all in those links? Thanks Cedric!

·
Registered
51 Posts
To remove the Saab 900ng starter motor :
1. remove the starter motor

It is that easy !... on a lift !!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The older Bosch starters were easily rebuild-able, 90% of the time it was only brushes and bushings, and an occasional solenoid.
The 1969 price was $29.95 for the two stroke unit, from the Saab dealer...

I would go to an auto electric place or directly to Bosch; but wait a minute, it may be a Delco-Remy starter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts