Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been quite a while since my last post in mid-June. I had the same problem with my c900 again. I went to start it at the bank after I came out, and when I turned the key to the start position, it just clicked. I poked around and hit the starter motor with a little stick, and tried again, it clicked again, and I just kept turning the key making it click, on about the 10th try it started very slowly but surely. And it hasn't done it to me again. So, my battery is 5 years old, my starter motor is the original from 1991, and the solenoid is also original. The ignition is original too. When I got the cat. conv. replaced last year to pass inspection, my Saab mechanic told me my ignition was on it's last legs. He quirted some fluid in the ignition where you put the key saying it would clear up some of the crap that was in there and maybe give it a couple more years. The other thing I thought of was the neutral switch. I'm not sure if thats what it's called, but it's the switch that won't let you start the car unless it's in neutral or park. (it's an automatic) Please give me some input here!! Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
5 year old battery in a car in New England has to be "suspect". 19 year old starter is equally, if not more, suspect. I'd rule out the neutral safety switch just because it is at least making the clicking noise

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1994 900SE Convertible. The ignition will not turn. Does anyone know how to remove the cylinder? I have the center console apart, and at the point of removing the switch, but don't know how. Please help...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mokenman - get your own thread :)))
Where in MN are you? I'm in Twin Cities, might offer some mechanical assistance if needed.

Not SAAB specific, but click from the starter solenoid (had this on one automatic car) usually means solenoid is not connecting. So. The starter uses really high amps to crank the motor, so the switch from the cabin operates a relay (called the starter solenoid) to connect this high amp current by using small switch and small current safe inside the cabin. when you turn the key, the solenoid magnetic coil gets the power and shorts the big contacts for the starter to run. The clicking sound you hear is most likely the solenoid contact shorting. Any mechanical relay will make similar noise in normal operating condition.

No for the problem, the solenoid is obviously working, otherwise there would be no click. The problem is the starter is not getting the power anyway. Check the large power line going from the battery to the starter, all contacts should be tight, clean, libricated with dilectric grease. :) You can have somebody turning the key as you look for current with a multimeter before and after the solenoid. If there is current on the large wire going to the solenoid but starter does not crank, the problem is in the solenoid internal connection. On the car I've seen, the solenoid used a copper coil connector and with time dust and dirt settled on the contacts inside preventing current from going through. Taking apart the solenoid and cleaning the contacts with the wire brush solved the problem. You can also replace the solenoid if you like or if its not removable on c900. But, before you take it al apart, see that current is getting to the solenoid first, to isolate the issue.

If lights do not dim during cranking and it cranks normally when it does, battery is okay. You can also stop by local store for a free battery test (they'll probably tell you its bad anyway). Weak battery usually cannot crank fast enough and does not hold charge very well. The starter will miss the gear, grind when it gets old and bad, not click, unless the brushes are so work that it cannot turn the motor or the starter is completely shot. The ignition switch has most likely nothing to do with this. Also, the lock where all the crap gets inside with time is not the ignition switch. The electrical switch is underneath the lock., the lock is just something you use to turn the switch. Bad switch is easy to diagnose with multimeter under the centre console. Your problem sounds more like the solenoid not connecting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts