Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to take some things off my car today.

Heres what I ended up with.

and

More pics(in the light) to follow tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoiler.

T3 off, td04 on.
Pooper. lol. The green stuff was coolant that I failed to catch/realize how much would have come out when unbolting the turbo. So I soaked it up with the nearest absorbant....SNOW.

Starter has to go back on first thing. Don't ask. Live and learn I guess. Then gotta make up some brackets for the wastegate. You know just fab them up, since well I have a welder now :rolleyes:

Stuff for the exhaust should be here tomorrow. So hopefully I can get the turbo back on just as fast as I took it off. Biggest problem may be the oil return line. I have both from both turbos, so am just gonna try to make one like they are in all the 9000s, NG, OG93 and OG95s.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'll be interested to see how this works out. I've got 2 TD04HL-15Ts laying around. I was going to put them on a couple of my c900s but figured it would be easier to just upgrade my TE05-12Bs to 19Gs and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I didn't realize you can install a td04 on a c900, that thing must move once done
It takes some fabbing. You've got to reclock the turbo, and fab new oil and water lines. You also need to make a transitional piece between the exhaust manifold bracket and the turbo bracket (or make a custom ex manifold) and do some creative work with the down pipe connection.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It takes some fabbing. You've got to reclock the turbo, and fab new oil and water lines.
Yup, not too bad though, since most of the lines are rubber hoses anyways.

You also need to make a transitional piece between the exhaust manifold bracket and the turbo bracket (or make a custom ex manifold) and do some creative work with the down pipe connection.
Nope, no transition between manifold and turbo for me :) Downpipe, meh, doing the entire exhaust anyways.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was snowing today so we put the starter back in. Moved battery cables around to relocate the battery to where the air box is.

And this mocked up.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got everything bolted up today. Started her up.

Blew open the oil feed line. I guess rubber fuel line isnt up for the task.

Sigh.

Bracket for the wastegate/"cotter"paperclip-pin:

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its a complete volvo TD04-15G. Exhaust housing and all. I have the volvo gasket between the maifold and the turbo. When/if I ever put on a T5(T7) head, I'll port out the exhaust manifold to the turbo.

This ruined my day yesterday. Got some power steering hose that should be up for the job. Putting it on tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Why not just use a hard line. You could have probably pulled that off with copper tubing fitted to the old line with a compression fitting.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apparently, you cant go from one sized hardline to another with compression/flare fittings.

Not sure if thats true or not, but I could see it possibly leaking. We'll see how this works.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, the PowerSteering hose did it. I also paid out the ass at the dealership for new copper crush washers. 6 of them cost me $18 bucks. But so far, I shouldn't complain. As far as I can see there are no obvious leaks.

Now, exhaust.

VIdeos: Note, baseboost.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts