Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a post on TSL about pushing to many MPHs on tires that weren't made for it I was just wondering what type of tire would come standard for a 2000 9-5 Aero with the 17' bbs rims. They are coopers but that is all I know. I think I might have done something stupid, but we'll see.

·
Registered
352 Posts
the tire ratings are just guides and as long as you don't consistently beat on your tires with crazy excessive speeds there's nothing to worry about

·
Registered
352 Posts
oops, i never answered your question....you sure the tires don't say anything else?, my best guess is that they would be all-seasons

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah they are all seaon and I guess I could look cause they might say like up to what MPH they can go but I don't want to right now. THe reason I ask is because I was racing this wrx or sti on the freeway and I got the mph up to around 140 then I decided to stop because we were like dead locked acceleration wise and I didn't want to die. The speed kinda scares me at times.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tires say 225/45R17 and from what i got on that site its says up to 106 mph.... so I was being stupid if I am reading those charts right.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
no thats probably not the right letter youre looking at, the "r" just means that its a radial tire, basically all modern car tires are radial tires. What you want is the letter before the R, most likely tho since you have 17" wheels, your tires are either V or Z rated, so basically the tires are good for at least 149mph. check the markings on the tires again, cause unless you have like some really cheap shitty wal-mart tires on your car (wich iirc coopers are not) 140 should be fine. And if they were the OEM tires, then they are definitely gonna be rated for at least the top speed of your car, thats simply a legal issue.

Paul

·
Registered
610 Posts
Considering the fact that Saab stopped offering this wheel/tire combo a few years ago, I don't think there are many of them survived with original tires today.

The Aeros with BBS RK wheels originally came with 225/45R17 Michelin HX MXM tires -- a touring tire designed for long wear, like most of the OEM supplied Michelins. They came V rated (240 km/h), and offered a rather average handling. They could be beat by many today's all-season tires for that matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts