Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I have a 1999 9-3 Viggen, and I have been having some weird issues with the rear stanchion arm bushings. First, i ordered them from Saab and they were totally wrong shape and i figured maybe it was an error at the dealership. Now, i ordered the ones on here everyone said to, and still way different. Aside from the other bushing being more flat than the aftermarket ones, my bolt is too small for the new bushings, even with the sleeves in.............anyone run into this before?? My bushings are shot and i need to get these things in ASAP.

I ordered number 5 here

http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93frontsuspension98-2003.htm

Some pictures to compare......one is upside down so dont be confused. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See I was thinking that too, but if the new arms are the same size as the aftermarket bushings, my bolts wont work either............. they were quite a bit to skinny for the new bushings

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just redid mine about 2 weeks ago on my Viggen. What I had ordered were the:

4482402 AFT 93 1999-2003 Stanchion Busing Only AFT $19.95

From the Saabsite.com

My bushings were destroyed....getting them out was a pain in the @ss. I found that a ball joint puller/press worked with a large socket to push most of them out. I then used an impact hammer, and a hacksaw to get the outer part of it out. I used the ball joint puller/press to put the new bushing in.

All new bushings in my front end make a huge difference. I did the full GS upgrade ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nick, I have a pretty bad clunk when hitting bumps, and i thought it was from the movement there. It will also clunk when applying brakes at low speed, like a really slow roll. I haven't done struts/mounts but a couple places have said it was these bushings. I've owned the car for 60,000 miles now, and have never replaced them so im guessing it could still be a possibility. Any other parts I should be looking at? (i've done the control arms themselves) Also, were the bolts smaller for the Abbott bushings when you put them in????

Secondly, im pretty sure my car had the viggen rescue kit on it. Had poly inner control arm bushings too, and has the Abbott clamp and brace, and im assuming had subframe brace that got ripped off cause it looks like those holes on the frame are damaged.........i wonder some days what my car has seen in its life.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The Sphericals make quite a bit of noise. maybe that is what you are hearing. Going back to stock would be a downgrade.

How much play in them? Get on it with a prybar and fee the other side.

If the bolts are not clamping well and have torn out the subframe there is a simple fix. 1/2 SAE Flatwasher fits nice and close around the bolt. Then bolt it all up and give it a couple spot welds to keep location. Did that on all of my cars.

Here is a 10 second sketch.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also replaced my bolts when I did these. The original ones did have some wear on them.

There were also some slide in tubes that went inside the bushing that I had to get separately (I got them through the dealer). If you need the part number, I can dig it up - just PM me. Everything was nice and tight, with minimal/no play when I was done.

I just redid mine about 2 weeks ago on my Viggen. What I had ordered were the:

4482402 AFT 93 1999-2003 Stanchion Busing Only AFT $19.95

From the Saabsite.com

My bushings were destroyed....getting them out was a pain in the @ss. I found that a ball joint puller/press worked with a large socket to push most of them out. I then used an impact hammer, and a hacksaw to get the outer part of it out. I used the ball joint puller/press to put the new bushing in.

All new bushings in my front end make a huge difference. I did the full GS upgrade ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.