Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the engine back together, and back in the car -checked everything twice, and started it up. Engine ran fine for twenty minutes or so, no leaks or scary noises. Let it cool down, checked all the clamps and connections - everything as it should be. Drove the car in to work, 15 minutes into the drive, starts running ragged, then stalls out ...... The car had been sitting for ~ 6 months with 1/4 tank of gas. Was able to coast into the gas station, and fill the tank. The car would start, run normal for a minute or so, then run ragged, and stall out. Wound up having the car towed back home the following morning.
Since then, I have replaced the main and fuel pump relays, installed a new fuel filter, and checked the fuel pump output. When I checked the plugs, they were wet, so it's obviously getting fuel. Checked the DI for spark - strange symptoms. Only saw spark on the #1 cylinder, but all four had the cleaning spark.
Also checked ECLD for vacuum leak and valve operation - even with the ECLD line to the manifold capped off, same symptoms.
At this point, I have a replacement DI and fuel pressure regulator on the way - fuel pressure regulator is because the rail does not seem to stay pressurized as it should.
I really need to get this car (1995 Aero) back on the road .........

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
201 Views on this thread so far, and not a single suggestion ?
To date, I have verified continuity on all sensors and IAC to the ECU. Verified correct voltages at all sensors. Traced the +30 power supply from the battery through the ignition switch, ignition relay, fuel pump and engine management relay. Both the fuel pump and engine management relay have been replaced. Did not replace the ignition switch relay, but did clean the contact points. The Crank Position Sensor is new. Have been through all the vacuum connections several times. Tested the DI, it is operating correctly. New plugs, properly gapped. Replaced the fuel filter, and the fuel pressure regulator. Went so far as to reload the program on the ECU, since it had been powered down for several months. Ran the car with the ECLD valve fitting plugged, same symptoms. The car starts right up, runs normally for a minute or two, then stalls out ......
When I pull the plugs, they are wet, and black ........ What can i possibly be missing ?
Tomorrow, it's headed off to to Brewer's Saab on a flatbed ......my cat says it's tired of me paying too much attention to the car ............

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too much fuel was my thought, also - that's why I changed the pressure regulator. Don't have the proper guage to test the pressure in the system, but that's something that Brewer's service will be able to check out .....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I dropped a motor in mine 2 weeks ago and apparently I didn't have the IAC valve clicked in all the way. Must've come off when I was trying to get it on the mounts. It was making my car start right up and idle, then as soon as I slowed to a stop it would die. Something simple and stupid but very hard to notice once the motor was in. Just a thought...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the CPS when I rebuilt the motor , and I have checked for continuity to the ECU, supply voltage to CPS. The IAC is also working correctly - was able to actuate that by shorting pins. The car is now at Brewer's Saab - waiting to hear back from them .....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem resolved, lesson learned ! I had put non-seize compound on the plug threads when I installed them, and did not take that into account when I torqued them to 20 ft/lbs ..... cracked the ceramic insulators on two of the plugs ! So - either no non-seize, or lower the torque spec when using it.

Something so simple, yet so deadly ........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts