Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf's 2001 Saab 9-3 SE (i believe these are the HOTs), started stalling only at red lights when kept in drive (automatic). If it's in park or neutral at a red light/stop sign, it will have a high idle of around 2k.

The car has 5 codes. I believe 2 of them are evap related which have supposedly been there for a while and a tech said that it was a small issue that didn't really affect the car. Idk if i believe that, but these problems just started recently. One code is for a minor misfire and the other 2 were gearbox related b/c her trans light came on. Now the trans light is off.

I would assume this is a vacuum issue at first glance. I was going to clean the AIC but these cars don't have them i guess, so i'll start with just cleaning the throttle body. My next step will be to replace all the vac lines. Also when I took off the plastic cover that hides the TB, I noticed the pcv valve that runs to the throttle body was broken off at the nipple going to the valve cover. I just told her to get the update kit since that will replace that nipple.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for any extra opinions on solutions guys.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Raffi noob.

Get the codes.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has them written down somewhere. I googled them and came up with those descriptions. I'll have to get them next time I see her.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
She has them written down somewhere. I googled them and came up with those descriptions. I'll have to get them next time I see her.
Which should be never if it was up to me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Trans light came on, or the misfires, coulda popped the car into limp home mode which would explain the stalling out perhaps.

I say first clear the codes and make sure the TB isnt in limp mode, correctly reset it if it is.

Then see if it comes back.

You could tackle the misfires it's most likely the plugs or DIC on these.

Definitely do what you mentioned, also glance at the air filter and the MAF depending on the mileage...tho I doubt it's the cause, just good maintenance.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
You need to fix your vacuum leeeeeeeaakssssss.....

That broken line can cause all that.

Double check there aren't more, the little red clip fittings that hold the brake booster vacuum pipe to the inlet manifold can get loose or break and cause problems too.

Did I mention you need to fix your vacuum leaks??

Drew

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok sounds good. The symptoms did seem to point to vac related problems. The car is over 110k so it could be time for a new MAF/DI, too. I'll check the cable on the TB but the gas pedal doesn't feel like it's in limp mode.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell the difference between limp home mode and not, you have to check visually, undo the dust cover over it and rotate the throttle pulley by hand, if the black gear looking thing next to i moves then it's in limp home.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The high idle has apparently stopped. That was from a vacuum line somewhere being disconnected. Now, it has a low idle at times, but is yet to stall. Could still be vacuum related, but more likely ignition I think.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell the difference between limp home mode and not, you have to check visually, undo the dust cover over it and rotate the throttle pulley by hand, if the black gear looking thing next to i moves then it's in limp home.
I most certainly could on my 9-5. Limp home made the car rev much differently, there was no buffer zone, the revs came down as fast as they could. Also, It would really stumble around on a cold start.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My NG900 went into limp mode because of a bad ignition switch. $143 from eeuroparts and a little bit of work, no more limp mode.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I most certainly could on my 9-5. Limp home made the car rev much differently, there was no buffer zone, the revs came down as fast as they could. Also, It would really stumble around on a cold start.
On my Viggen, I could feel the cable connection from low throttle very easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts