Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm working on a project that will involve needing custom fuel lines that need to mate up to a T5 fuel rail.

I am using an NG900/og9-3 intake manifold.

Some rambling of my current thoughts:

-Use the stock 9-3 fuel rail and make adapters that go from the stock quick disconnect to -6 and -4 AN fittings for feed and return respectively.

-Cut the tubes off at the point in which the quick disconnects engage and try to flare them to accept AN fittings.

-Use a 9000 manifold with the mounting Tabs modified to fit the 9-3 manifold
For the inlet it would be as simple as getting the right metric to AN adapter. For the return I would have to either flare it or figure something else out.

-The Final thought is a custom Rail.

I am looking for any suggestions. Hopefully some people who have gone through this before can share some of there experiences with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
The custom rail might be the way to go, you can get rail stock pretty cheap, and then you just need one of the special fuel rail drill bit dealies. Then you have nice threaded fittings on either end and can just use some AN adapters or banjos or whatever works.

Paul

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The custom rail might be the way to go, you can get rail stock pretty cheap, and then you just need one of the special fuel rail drill bit dealies. Then you have nice threaded fittings on either end and can just use some AN adapters or banjos or whatever works.

Paul
I did find the rail stock fairly cheaply, but after some heavy google searching it looks like I found my answer.

They have the various sizes I need. Which I believe to be 5/16" for the feed and 1/4" for the return. Both of them go to -6an. I was planning on using -4an for the return, but I'll just got with -6an or find a -6an to -4an adapter.

Here is the Link to the website....http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/adapt_fit/fuel.shtml

Scroll down the page to where it says RUSSELL PUSH-ON EFI FITTINGS (FOR OEM HARD LINES)

Looks like Nick is using the stock rail on his Drag car, so he must be using some sort of adapter or he has brazed AN fittings to the rail.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
huh, neat. Though I wonder if that would just make those tubes going into the rail a bottleneck, making your bigass lines pointless. I guess it would be the simple way to go for now, and if it turns out you are running out of fuel volume down the road, you deal with it then.

Paul

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huh, neat. Though I wonder if that would just make those tubes going into the rail a bottleneck, making your bigass lines pointless. I guess it would be the simple way to go for now, and if it turns out you are running out of fuel volume down the road, you deal with it then.

Paul
I thought about that, but they are made for the LS1 crowd and such.
It looks like Nick is running the Stock Rail on the Drag car, so I'm not worried about running out of fuel.

The Fancy fuel lines, are mostly because I have to do something custom anyway, and I want them to look and function nicely.

otherwise known as not look like rubber hose held on with hose clamps.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are close to the point where that fitting is the fuel restriction, The tip-hazard from simply going from deceleration to full boost acceleration would be what I'd worry about.
Easy there...You don't want to go spilling the secret.

You may know what this for, but the majority here do not. ;-)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
On the drag car I just welded a steel -6male fitting after machining off the pipe thread part of the adaptor. (Cheaper locally than weld fittings) Lots cheaper than the adaptors but those quick release would be nice for working on it.

Proven good enough to max the 1000s out on E85. with 3.5bar base

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The thought of welding one was an Option as well. I do have a lathe I can use, but it's a bit old and I have limiting tooling for it. I didn't fear running out of fuel, and seeing the Drag car making that much power reassures me.

I ordered the adapters Last night. For $40 shipped I can't complain too much. It would probably be $20 by the time I was done paying the shipping and handling fees most of websites like summit charge anyway If I was to get a weld adapter.

I appreciate you Chiming in Nick. I'm the guy who emailed you and talked to you about our project at SOC. I'll contact you about the 3" throttle body bend once we have the motor running. Right now, All of our motor mounts are made up and just need some final welding. I am really excited!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gotcha. Ill have adam work on that soon. Shop has been quite busy.

Ill have more fuel flow data tonight or tomorrow ;) 1000s at high pressure. 70/75 base to get enough flow out of the injectors.
Sounds Good. No huge Rush, but if you have time to do it I'm ready for it anytime.

Like you said "It's T5 get it running first."

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the Solution:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a solution for that too. They sell a -6 male to -6 female adapter with a 1/8 npt port on the side for a gauge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts