Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a stainless-steel 2.5" sports exhaust kit for 8V NA engines listed at the Group9 website, but none of the Australian Saab performance outlets are aware of anything being available like it in Australia.

I'm interested in getting as much out of my car's NA 8V engine as I can since it'll give me a good grounding for when I'm able to find a C900 with 8V turbo engine later on.

I've read a lot about exhausts and most consensus is that reducing exhaust back pressure with a larger piping system gives a very significant increase in performance and better fuel-economy. That makes sense but perhaps some of you have done this yourselves and can offer some advice?

I'm going to contact James at Group9 after the silly season is over and get more info on the system as a bolt-on exhaust system upgrade is going to be a good addition to the car and can add to the appeal the the black--with-machined-lip Ronal wheels and yellow-lens with stone cover fitted foglights have already brought to the car!

My next move is to get a decent digital cam so I can put pics of all this stuff up in the pic archives on my C900 Workshop site and my personal site in the projects pages... :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Craig!
You are on the outlook for a 8vT or 8V N/A-exhaust? The larger diameter of the N/A-exhaust might not help your power-output, as the N/A has to have backpressure. This is somewhat the opposite on the Turbo, where a 3" JT-system is the way to go, preferably with the 3" Downpipe aswell... I haven't got'n that one yet, but that is on the to-do list, along with Megasquirt 5-injector control and ignition control after that. Later on comes full fuel-control via MS aswell, but that is a but further out in the horizon...
I'm a student, so money is tight and the work is going slowly... Any knowledge I might collect (fingers crossed ;) ) I will be happy to share with you...
Good luck,
Daniel.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saab-daniel said:
Hey Craig!
You are on the outlook for a 8vT or 8V N/A-exhaust? The larger diameter of the N/A-exhaust might not help your power-output, as the N/A has to have backpressure. This is somewhat the opposite on the Turbo, where a 3" JT-system is the way to go, preferably with the 3" Downpipe aswell... I haven't got'n that one yet, but that is on the to-do list, along with Megasquirt 5-injector control and ignition control after that. Later on comes full fuel-control via MS aswell, but that is a but further out in the horizon...
I'm a student, so money is tight and the work is going slowly... Any knowledge I might collect (fingers crossed ;) ) I will be happy to share with you...
Good luck,
Daniel.
Thanks for the input Daniel. It's for my 1983 900S which has an 8V N/A engine. After original deciding I wanted to investigate this idea last year, I started to understand about the way that N/A engines rely on back-pressure and turbo engines need as little of it as possible. Still, the stock exhaust doesn't help the looks of the car. Apparently Group 9 can supply stainless exhaust kits for N/A engines. Just need to see if they can supply one for the 8V N/A's as most places are only focused on 900's with 16V engines thesedays. yeah I'm a bit behind the times but I'm still having fun with the Beast two years after getting it (it's my very first Saab!)... Don't want to spoil that just yet. :cool:

Regards,

Craig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts