Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving around playing with a wrx when we got a light. He was friendly asked what was done. Told him my mods. He was suprised. He had a downpipe/full exhaust, intake, intercooler, boost controller. So he launched from the light and I just couldnt hold and spun crazy. So we ran from a 3rd gear roll at 45. And I had about a car on him without him pulling. So all in all cool guy. And a happy first night with stage1. ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Viggen VS WRX

Glad to hear your conquest over the wrx i really cant stand those cars, about acouple months ago some punk in a blue sti wannabe got behind me and was acting like an ass, he kept getting real close then backing off just so i could hear his rice exhaust, finaly we got in the 2 lane section of road i was in the right lane he kept in the left, he went by me so then i sped up just to hang with him now keep in mind i have a 95se with 120000 miles on the clock and i was keeping up to a modded wrx well my car aint completly stock but i dont think its near the 227 horse they have stock. i love to see peoples expresions when they see a saab blowing their doors off lol!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice kill...those wrx's are nice. If there werent' any mods on the wrx then duh ya of course you'd kill him. Esp since you've got the Stage 1! All in all those cars are nice...
My boyfriend had an 2004 wrx with some exhaust mods..def felt a difference with just that..well until he crashed it. :cry:
Just be sure to stick to modded or stock wrxs and not get yourself paired up with a good driver drivin an STI unless you have serious mods behind ya

I wish my car could've beaten his wrx :roll:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ya, I work on/mod WRX's on the side. Basically if they are at stage 1 (exhaust, intake, BOV) you can play with them. Espically in the higher gears. At this point you are talking like 190whp 200-210torque.

But stage 2 (all of stage 1 plus:up-pipe, ECU upgrade, up the boost to 15-16psi) and they get tough. Now they are at like 220-230whp and 240torque.

The ones you really need to watch out for are ppl that only did an up-pipe and got tuned by a good shop. The local dyno (yes AWD) to me has a WRX only 2 mods are up-pipe and ecu-tec ECU-piggy back system. They have that thing doing 236whp and 240torque.

If you find someone in stage 3 or up, good luck now u are talking like 250whp+. Or and STI.

ERP as far as i know is the only one that has played with an STI, and that was 55 and up, i know on the 1/4 they can beat him.

ian

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dont they have 227 hp stock and sti have 300? what do you mena 190 at stage 1?

·
7,595 Posts
saab90089 said:
I am talking at the wheels. Yes at the crank the WRX has 227.........about 180ish at the wheels. and an STI has 300 at the crank..........about 255ish at the wheels.
ian
yep, that's exactly the figures that I hear

·
Registered
298 Posts
yup those are the figures...

the bf went from the 227 wrx to the now 300 hp sti....not to even mention that theres the wr1 out there with like 320 i think

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
i beat a stock WRX (non-STI) from a 35mph roll about a week ago.probably about 3 car lengths before i shut down. god i need a new fuel pump :(

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
saabchic said:
yup those are the figures...

the bf went from the 227 wrx to the now 300 hp sti....not to even mention that theres the wr1 out there with like 320 i think
Those numbers have more than a little bit of smoke in them. :? The WR1 costs $55K, is only available in the UK, and probably won't make it here for a while _ but even if it does, those numbers would need to be verified.

From the October 2004 Motor Trend, which tested the 2005 WRX STi and the 2005 Mitsu EVO: "There's no way to calculate parasitic drivetrain losses, so we can neither confirm nor deny the manufacturers' power production claims, which they measure at the crank on an engine dynamometer. Nevertheless, we suspect that the Mitsubishi is underrated at 276-crank horsepower, and the Subaru is overrated at 300 horsepower."

So...the generally accepted number for drivetrain loss is about 12-15 percent for FWD cars, and about 20-25 percent for AWD. The BF's STi is probably putting out about 240-250 at the wheels.

From Import Tuner, which tested a new 2002 WRX:

"With the WRX being AWD, we are forced to step away from the Dynojet dyno and move on to a dyno capable of handling an all-wheel drive vehicle. We enlisted the help of a Dynapack dynamometer since it is worthy of handling the task. Not only is the unit easy to use, numbers are just as accurate, if not more so, than other units on the market.

Baseline testing began at 168.8 hp to the wheels, which might seem far off, but remember that we're testing this power at all four wheels, so this tells us that this power level, after drivetrain losses, is plenty for a baseline figure. Torque levels registered at 164.8 lb-ft."

This seems to back up the "street dyno" results that most 9-3 SEs will easily take a WRX in a straight line from rolling start. Heavy emphasis on the "straight" and "rolling" 8) The WRX is still a monster from a standing start, and the differential makes it cling to curves.

But $55,000 for a Subaru WR1 is a joke. That's approaching Porsche money....The AWD Audi S4 is conservatively rated at 340hp and costs $5,000 less than the Subie. And if you want Detroit iron, the Cadillac CTS has 400hp and costs $4,000 less than the WR1.. :twisted:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aight, i got some disagrements in your argument there.

1st of all you are correct in saying that the BF's STI is not 300, at the wheels. Unless he has modded it. I think she was just claifying which car he got.

As for the power at the crank, i'll believe the argument that it might not be 300 and this # is over rated..........BUT it really doesn't matter when you are talking power at the wheels.

I have seen bone stock STI's lay down 250-255whp. Then I have seen the same car with exhaust go to the same dyno. MInd you the weather conditions were not the EXACT same. But it then put down 260whp. So who really careS what the crank is doing. Still the STI is putting down the figures stated above. Getting the STI to put down 300+whp isn't that hard by the way.

As for the 160whp that you mention, i believe that is taken from 1 of the rollers. The AWD dyno (that i have been to, a dynojet) takes a reading from the front and the rear wheels then puts them together.

Ian

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Ian, I think we're on the same page about the Subie numbers. :lol: My argument is that Subaru's published numbers are high, and that the drivetrain losses are also pretty high, making a stock WRX a good match for a turbo Saab under the strict conditions I mentioned before. I don't want to blaze against one at a stop light, but at an onramp, it's on! :twisted: I'd want some more ponies under my hood if I saw an STi, but a lightly modded Viggen (or a stage 3 or 4 SE) has those. Saabchic was right on the money about this...

(Hey, SC....your car CAN beat his! Think about a stage 4 SQR package, and you'll have about 285-290 bhp, so about 255-260 at the wheels. And that's without doing any turbo or engine mods. :twisted: )

saab90089 said:
Aight, i got some disagrements in your argument there.

1st of all you are correct in saying that the BF's STI is not 300, at the wheels. Unless he has modded it. I think she was just claifying which car he got.
This makes sense. I think you're right about saabchic just making it clear which one her BF upgraded to.

As for the power at the crank, i'll believe the argument that it might not be 300 and this # is over rated..........BUT it really doesn't matter when you are talking power at the wheels.
This was actually my point too, so we're in agreement here. The magical 300 figure is quoted by Subaru as a selling point.

I have seen bone stock STI's lay down 250-255whp. Then I have seen the same car with exhaust go to the same dyno. MInd you the weather conditions were not the EXACT same. But it then put down 260whp. So who really careS what the crank is doing. Still the STI is putting down the figures stated above. Getting the STI to put down 300+whp isn't that hard by the way.
Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass, 8) I checked the NASIOC forums to see what experience they've had. Those guys generally get about 250 to 255, depending on the dyno, and there are several kinds of dynos that deliver numbers at the high end of the scale. Dynojet is one of them. So I was way low at 240, but inside the low range that people see on some dynos. (This is why the Motor Trend guys said it's hard to compare numbers....)

As for the 160whp that you mention, i believe that is taken from 1 of the rollers. The AWD dyno (that i have been to, a dynojet) takes a reading from the front and the rear wheels then puts them together.
This makes sense, as this is the only way to attempt to get a handle on the driverain loss is to measure both....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
BTW, I saw this over at the NASIOC forums. I think we might have a couple of candidates on this forum:

Pomona Raceway
Friday, September 24, 2004
Subaru looking for one fast female

N. HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- Easy Street Motorsports, which is owned and operated by Ali Afshar, a competitor in Sport RWD on the NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series tour, is looking for a female driver to take over the reigns of Afshar's red ESX Sti racecar beginning in 2005. The only rules are that you must have a valid drivers license and be in good health.

To sign up for the contest, stop by any Subaru dealership across the country and fill out an application (go online to www.subaru.com for a location near you or www.ESXmotorsports.com for full contest details). The field will be narrowed to four finalists who will be flown to California to compete at the NHRA Sport Compact World Finals presented by Import Tuner, Oct. 23-24, at Pomona Raceway.

The winner will be determined by the racing skills they show that weekend as well as their ability to promote the race program and willingness to travel the country. They will receive a $40,000 base salary for next season and a scholarship to the Frank Hawley Drag Racing School. Applications must be received by Oct. 18.

Check it out at http://www.esxmotorsports.com/search.htm

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey mike, I wasn't tryin to blow up on you. I had misinterpreted your point a little, we were sayin the same things :oops: . Between both of our comments we have everything covered as to the output of the WRX and STI :wink:.

As for that EasyStreey WRX, I just saw that on friday in Lancaster, PA. Neat car!

Ian

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
No prob at all, Ian! Although I'm jealous that you got a chance to see that thing..... :shock:

That car, or one modded like it, is supposed to be coming up to the Northeast sometime this month for a dealer event. That Easy Street car is a beast!

I'm drooling on the keyboard. Maybe we can get Kevin Yankton to challenge him when the 450hp 900 is finished!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Re: Viggen VS WRX

marko said:
Glad to hear your conquest over the wrx i really cant stand those cars,
Not to toss gasoline on an already flaming thread, but perhaps what you meant to say was "I really can't stand some of the people who drive those cars."

·
Registered
298 Posts
mike can you let me know when that subaru is coming to the NE and where it'll be...that is if you know off hand

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
saabchic said:
mike can you let me know when that subaru is coming to the NE and where it'll be...that is if you know off hand
Will do!

And if you get selected to be on that factory race team, you have to take us for laps.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts