Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2002 Saab 9-3 last December and joined the forums. Haven't done anything with it since then, but I'd like to learn about the ECU upgrades and some of the requirements. Tried searching but wasn't able to find much as I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction. If location matters as to where I should take it when I make a decision, I'm in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about doing the "cheap and easy" because I don't think I'm going to put too much money into this car. I enjoy it but it has over 100k miles. A little more power would be nice, a lot would better, but not sure it's worth it.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
many will tell you that once you do a stage 1 tune, its pretty much like the the first sting to an infection that will take over so fast you'll be upset you spent the $300 on just a stage 1 and not on something bigger
do some good thinking before you jump into a stage 1

many ppl have nearly double the mileage that you do and are at a stage 2,3,4

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
3" DP for $500 + 100 dollar t5 suite stg3 tune = happyness.

Maybe and intake too.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Oh and as far as your mileage concerns my engine went to 'stage 3' at about 135k miles (?). Head gasket finally died at 150k, and now she has some ~165k on it.

As far as bang for the buck, having real winter/summer tires is well worth it too. Especially as you live in cold/snow hell.

3" down pipe will make your car happy and sound nice, finish the rest of the exhaust to sound even more awesome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm at 111k right now, which is 15k miles since I got it last December. That's about 20k a year mileage. So I figure I'll only be able to have this car another 3 years.

I will probably have to set a cap on how much I can spend. I can already see myself going overboard. I want to get so much for it already. In fact I just bought to decals for the front and rear emblems, but that was pretty cheap. 23 on Ebay for both. I got the black Griffin decal with no text. Looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You'll want at least a 2.5" cat back and an intake as well. JZW recommends a new intercooler for his stage 3 tunes, but I believe the t7 suite tunes do not require it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ecu should be last. You will need the crossflow ic hoses if you don't already have them. You could get a Jt exhaust if your looking to save some money. Not stainless and a cat would have to be added, but it is full 3 inch and only 550.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_24&products_id=207

You could also use a universal ebay fmic. There are a bunch of threads around about that. not as easy to install, but could cost 1/2 as much.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122733

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I did a stage1 with the same logic of "ok its my daily driver i want a mild upgrade but nothing major...." New exhaust and roll bars and stage 2-ish reflash later, I'm wishing I had a budget for a 3" DP, intercooler, and stage3 tune.

Moral of the story is twofold:
1) you wont stop at stage1.
2) when your car gets fast and your right foot gets real happy, shit starts to fail. I just replaced a throttle body, brake booster, AC compressor (shat itself when my right foot decided to do a 140MPH pull on I-95). That's only just the latest ones, too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.