Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking at the maptun upgrades i see they have 6 differnt stages, each stage has more hardware with it, i was wondering if this hardware is what makes the performance difference alone, or if the stage 6 software is differnt thatn the stage 1 software?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The hardware and software compliment each other.

With trionic, it has a set number of rules it follows..

so whacking on a stupid big turbo will not actually give you a good gain of horses, as trioinc will not be able to compensate for the increased boost, as it will be beyond its set rules.
So maptun reset the rules to make the best possible advantage of the packaged hardware.

·
Registered
745 Posts
typically the trionic mods create richer fuel mixtures, with higher boost cutoffs...

I've heard that generally stage 1 and 2 Maptune mods are really not that different as far as software goes, but involves a small degree of hardware mods to take advantage of the software as previously menitoned here...

Stage 3 Maptune however, is a different software modification, and a very noticeable difference with a decent dp, racecat and bypass valve.

Every mod after that involves a better IC, fuel regulator, Map sensor, and on the hi end bigger turbo and fuel injectors. Its a balancing act of air and fuel during different stages of boost levels and/or rpm. Higher boost involves a richer mixture to prevent leaning and higher Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT).

Been looking at stage 5, and a way to increase braking power more effectively.
I'm just surprised that all of these manufacturer's of hi-po stuff aren't providing the gauges that tell you about the effects of the mod.

In my oppinion if your going to doing a lot of mods you need good gauges to tell you what's going on. Gauges like an EGT, and a boost gauge. The EGT type is directly proportionate to a lean running engine. A good a/f gauge might also provide a good indication, but reading higher temps mean leaner mixture in most all cases. A good boost gauge is generally a good measure of potential hp...

Some agree, while others disagree and trust what the manufacurers suggest..., but a good gauge system or getting a dyno test is the best way to be sure.

regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts