1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my SPG tonight and the following sequence of events occurs:

1. Intermittent squealing comes back and won't go away
2. Spits out an alternator / waterpump belt
3. Alternator stops charging (no battery light except above 4500RPM)
4. Becomes extremely hard to shift into 3rd and 4th

I still had 18 miles to drive, so I started shutting everything off and managed to make it home (in the dark just using the fog lights). Car died at the top of me street - roll started it going down the hill, and all the sudden everything is lit up and voltage is back to normal for maybe 3 seconds, then it all goes out again and car dies a second time.

Once the car died the second time, I can't shift it anymore, period. It's stuck in neutral.

What is going on here? The harmonic dampener is still on the crank and turning the way it should be, the alternator isn't hot/wobbling like bearings are gone. And why did the shifter lock up?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Could you have lost the alt belts, and some how they bound up the shifter linkage?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you have lost the alt belts, and some how they bound up the shifter linkage?
It's lost one of the two, I was betting on that for the shifter issues but I can't find it anywhere. Linkage looks clear, unless it's up underneath the car somewhere. Going to have to get it up off the ground and take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This continues to get weirder:

1. Checked the belts - tension was fine, but still could turn alternator pulley inside belt freely? Going to be replacing both belts and thoroughly cleaning the pulley. When I tensioned it well past the spec, it stopped slipping so I am thinking the belt itself is to blame (new last year).

2. Checked shifter linkage - all is clear and moves as it should. All gears are fine and shifter acts normally except 4th. Once in 4th tranny is fine, but putting it in or out of 4th feels like the shifter is stuck in a big blob of play-doh ... a lot of resistance, but no grinding, clunking etc and it will go into gear.

Is this something internal to the trans? It's never so much as made a peep before, except the occasional telltale grinding into 2nd if I shift it hard.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
You didn't get a piece of the belt wrapped around the shift linkage, did you? Like where you can't see it up above the selector rod where it tucks up above the passenger side inner driver?

When you have the belts off make sure the alternator and the water pump aren't starting to seize up inside, alternator bearings should be quiet if you give it a spin by hand.

Drew

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't get a piece of the belt wrapped around the shift linkage, did you? Like where you can't see it up above the selector rod where it tucks up above the passenger side inner driver?
Drew
Checked the Alt and the water pump, bearings felt/sounded fine.

I was laying under the car when I checked the shift linkage - it comes out of the car just above/behind the PS rack and bolts to the trans shift rod right at the back of the trans below the PS pump - is there additional external linkage on the tranny?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removed remaining old alt belt (which was hardened and glazed so badly it was shiny...odd). Install and tension new belts, all is well with that, squealing and noises gone, alt working as it should.

Now this shifter thing...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.