Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From AutoBlog...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/...w-after-reports-that-2012-9-3-will/#continued

Spyker Cars has released an official statement confirming that it is in talks with BMW about future component sharing. The rumors surrounding this topic had initially suggested that BMW would lend Saab its Mini Countryman platform to underpin a smaller 9-2 model, but new reports indicate that the larger 9-3 could be the first to benefit from this partnership.

The next-generation Saab 9-3 is expected to launch in 2012. If the Spyker/BMW talks go well, the new 9-3 could be powered by an all-new Bimmer-sourced engine that produces around 220 horsepower, according to Bloomberg. BMW's EfficientDynamics technologies would naturally be used within this new powerplant, and according to the report, we shouldn't rule out the possibility of seeing this mill under the hood of the 9-5 flagship.

Of course, a teardrop-shaped Saab 9-2 is still on the table, with the automaker hoping to launch it by 2014 if it can find a partner. In addition to Countryman underworkings, Saab is reportedly hoping to use some of BMW's small-displacement diesel engines for use in the 9-2, as well. Follow the jump to read the official statement from Spyker after reviewing the Bloomberg report at the link below.

[Sources: Spyker Cars, Bloomberg]

Press Release

REACTION ON PRESS SPECULATION ABOUT BMW

Zeewolde, The Netherlands, 27 September 2010.

Spyker Cars N.V. ("the Group"), a holding company that owns subsidiaries which produce and sell premium automobiles under the Saab and Spyker brands, has noted recent press speculation about the possible supply relationship with BMW. The Group confirms that talks are ongoing and will give further details once a final agreement has been reached.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
As much as this is good news - I'm not a total fan of BMW engine... after seeing some of the Mini's up on lifts and what has been faulty - I am not impressed. A bonus is their chasis seem stiff, and simple. I just don't know about the engines - but change is good. Hopefully the partnership will be "short term" in order to get Saab back up on their feet.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
As much as this is good news - I'm not a total fan of BMW engine... after seeing some of the Mini's up on lifts and what has been faulty - I am not impressed. A bonus is their chasis seem stiff, and simple. I just don't know about the engines - but change is good. Hopefully the partnership will be "short term" in order to get Saab back up on their feet.
The Mini's engine is not really a BMW engine. I think it's developed with someone else.

Wiki: First gen cars were developed with Chrysler and Rover:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritec_engine

The 2nd gen, is developed with Peugeot:
"Mini introduced an all-new, second generation of the car for the 2007 model year, the Mk II Mini, on a re-engineered platform that incorporated many stylistic and engineering changes. The engine architecture is shared with PSA Peugeot Citroën and is intended to be more cost-effective and fuel-efficient. The engineering was done in the United Kingdom by BMW Group UK Engineering; in Munich, Germany at BMW Group headquarters; and with external third parties."

·
Registered
890 Posts
As long as they do not use BMW engine management systems that are repair bay prone, I say that's good. Maybe a new version of Trionic??

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
BMW has some really impressive small 4 bangers, especially the diesel offerings, i see good things in the future engine wise.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Diesel engines is great news.saab could become "diesel central"and make this a great selling point.

The 9-3 drivetrain to me, is nowhere near as interesting as where they will get the chassis from. If they continue to underpin everything with gm then I don't expect great product.

I kinda wish they could engineer their own bespoke chassis and partner up with nissan or hyundai to make the cars. Both nissan and hyundai got the deep pockets to partner up, and both are missing primo chassis for anything near luxury front drive.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I guess its time to find another brand for me. What had always amazed me about my saabs was the engines, the torque/hp curves ( not totals) make them faster ( on the highway) and lighter than a similally powered BMW.

losing that would wipe the smile off my face.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I guess its time to find another brand for me. What had always amazed me about my saabs was the engines, the torque/hp curves ( not totals) make them faster ( on the highway) and lighter than a similally powered BMW.

losing that would wipe the smile off my face.
I wouldn't worry too much...

The current 9-3 has had a GM motor for 7 years. Before that the H engine was a redesign of the B Engine which was based on a Triumph engine. Before that they used a Ford V4. See a theme?

My guess is they will use BMW-sourced small(er) displacement HOT engines across the entire range. (I'd be surprised if they offer an NA engine in anything but the 9-4x.) I assume Saab will use their own engine mapping as they do now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think its funny that brand names still have a special place in our hearts...When I parted out a 1991 Porsche 944S2 a few years ago, I was amazed at the amount of parts shared by other companies...not really sure any of it really matters anymore...you want a pure Saab buy vintage and get run over on the highway :)

Here is what I found:
Mercedes Benz (made in West Germany)
VW (made in West Germany)
BMW (made in West Germany)
a few Japanese parts as well (oh no...not on a Porsche !)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

My guess is they will use BMW-sourced small(er) displacement HOT engines across the entire range. (I'd be surprised if they offer an NA engine in anything but the 9-4x.) I assume Saab will use their own engine mapping as they do now.
x2. Its not like we're gunna open the hood and see an engine with "BMW" on stamped on top of it. Its going to say SAAB, and the way saab is, they WILL keep their own engine mapping. They've been producing high torque bullet proof engines for the last how many years? I dont think they will screw with that, they just need BMW to help them make the engines now that GM is gone.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

The current 9-3 has had a GM motor for 7 years. Before that the H engine was a redesign of the B Engine which was based on a Triumph engine. Before that they used a Ford V4. See a theme?

Even the strokers were originally sourced from DKW -- now long since absorbed by Audi.

Saab was never the original designer of any of their engines. They took what was out there and made them better.

To me, s'all good.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Even the strokers were originally sourced from DKW.

Saab was never the original designer of any of their engines. They took what was out there and made them better.

To me, s'all good.
Agreed. So long as the engines work, get decent milage and performance, who cares where they first came from? This source sounds like it's going to be beneficial so I don't see a problem. Now if only the 9-5 could get a v12 or something just for kicks, I'd love it. lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
i agree. and yea we all want a true blooded Trollattahn (how ever you spell it) SAAB. but just for now Victor Mullen is playing smart with the agreements hes making. so maybe later years we will actually see the saab were ALLLL dreaming for lol. ill be the first to buy it haha

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
True, but again, Saab was never a HP monster either. More focused on torque and handling.

Recall, the 92 had all of 23 HP, yet regularly was winning rallies of the time. Granted, this isn't 1951 anymore, and Saab needs to step up to the buying public's perception of the all ruling HP numbers. IMHO, Saab has always been, well until the past decade anyway, about a balance between performance, handling, durability and the now forgotten utility (what happened to our cavernous cargo capacity???).

No other car had these qualities. Today, you're forced to buy an SUV or crossover to get the utility.

Performance and handling now tends to give up utility.

Durability and rugged chassis design are qualities rarely seen anymore unless, again, you look at an SUV or crossover.

HP is nice, but don't forget these other qualities.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts