Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am attempting to discover what the spoilers on the 900's (circa 1993) were made out of. The spoilers on the Classic 900's were originally smooth to the touch, but over time the coating wears off and they end up with the feel of 100-grit sandpaper. I am searching for any information on the factory-original coating used on these spoilers.

Would you know anything about this part? Would you know anyone in the SAAB network (e.g., factory personnel) that I could contact regarding the manufacturing process of the spoilers?

Is it possible to learn more about these parts, the materials used and method of manufacture? With this information I hope to discover that it may be possible to purchase a restorative coating for them, either the original material or a consumer equivalent.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,
Chris

·
Registered
292 Posts
rubber

Hey - i've tried a million things. Best option is to find a good used one... I've tried painting (which flakes when it flexes or during temp changes, even with flex additive) and some other stuff that didn't look great...

Its the sun I think that does it..

What I do now on my SPGs is treat with this stuff called Wurth Rubber Care -- its expensive and hard to find (high end detail shops or maybe online somewhere)... it protects rubber better than I think anything out there.

Ben

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Yeah, its just an issue of the nice clean surface that was produced when being molded being eroded away by the elements. I do not think it was a "coating," per say, any more than just the finish left behind from being cast in a smooth mold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have the part numbers for the spoilers or know of an online catalog where I can find them? Most (e.g., TheSaabSite and eEuroparts) only list parts they actually carry.

Thanks,
Chris

PS: Price for center rear spoiler from dealer is $1107.00. The side extensions that wrap around the car are no longer available.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don't think you can find them retail anymore. I picked mine up on ebay. That or craigslist might be your best bet.

Note: The one I picked up is in excellent condition, and was only $80 shipped.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have a good spoiler that I removed from my 88 SPG that I need to get rid of. It's in really good shape (I can take pics if you want) & has been sitting in my garage for 5+years I think. I removed it due to going with the larger whaletail to match my airflow kit.

If you want it I will let it go cheap :)

I would think it's just the florida sun that's eating away at the rubber spoiler. I doubt there is anything that could be applied to the spoiler to bring it back. I would say find one in good shape & keep a rubber treatment on it like others mentioned above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts