Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Speedparts 9-3 SS R

This is truely an amazing 2.4L Ethanol Non-intercooled 850hp beast.

Read about it at www.93ssr.com

I'm speechless.

Be sure to view the movie. If it takes to long to download, I maybe able to host it for a limited time.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm.. thats odd. It says its non-intercooled, but they have an intercooler in the photos...hmmmmmm

·
7,595 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
It still looks like the old Iron block 16v engine. :wink:
yeah, and that is very odd... B234R was NEVER installed into a NG-93, and in fact it is an inferior engine to the GM ecotec engine. it's like they took a 9000 aero engine and set it up for maximum power, and stuck it in an 93-SS. everything about that is just odd. why in the world would they NOT have used the ecotec engine?!?! It's well documented to be able to generate over 1000 HP on mostly stock internals. I don't fault them for the car, but I just don't see why they would use that engine when the car CAME WITH a better engine to build up...

·
7,595 Posts
well I'm sorry, but it is--

Quest for firepower

But how did GM find more than 1000 ponies with just four cylinders?

The main component of the GM Ecotech race engine is the same aluminum block that can be found living in stock '03 J-bodies and Saturn's ION and VUE. Manufactured with a lost-foam casting process that results in increased strength and decreased weight, the Ecotec in stock form uses aluminum cylinder sleeves.

Race preparation basically involves just two modifications - switching to stainless steel cylinder liners and the use of aftermarket main and head studs. So far the blocks have exceeded GM's technical director for drag racing Russ O'Blenes expectations. "We have blocks with probably 150 to 200 passes on them," he says. "We have had no structural failures to date."

All components in the engine are designed to live in the hostile 9700-rpm racing environment. That means this Ecotec turns 4000 more revs than the stock version. That astronomic engine speed called for a slight reduction in displacement from 2.2 to 2.0 liters, to limit piston speed to manageable velocities. In addition, stock balance shafts that spin at twice engine speed are honed from 4130 steel to survive 20,000-rpm racing launches.
whole thing is here-- http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5482

but yes indeed- the new ecotec engine IS a better engine than the "real saab engine"

·
User
9,193 Posts
DeLorean said:
Tweek's Turbos said:
yeah, and that is very odd... B234R was NEVER installed into a NG-93, and in fact it is an inferior engine to the GM ecotec engine. it's like they took a 9000 aero engine and set it up for maximum power, and stuck it in an 93-SS. everything about that is just odd. why in the world would they NOT have used the ecotec engine?!?! It's well documented to be able to generate over 1000 HP on mostly stock internals. I don't fault them for the car, but I just don't see why they would use that engine when the car CAME WITH a better engine to build up...
I too was wondering why the hell they didnt do this. I was rather surprised when I saw that they swapped the ecotec for the inferior engine... It's still a very sweet car, but I was kind of disappointed in their decisions engine wise.... The ecotec would have provided much more hp outputs and more reliably... oh well.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
DeLorean said:
Tweek's Turbos said:
So Saturn makes a better engine then Saab do they - I smell a trader a foot! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

·
User
9,193 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
DeLorean said:
Tweek's Turbos said:
So Saturn makes a better engine then Saab do they - I smell a trader a foot! :lol: :twisted: :lol:
lol, we are just stating the obvious... The GM engine is proven tougher than the B234R... I'm not a big fan of GM, but their Ecotec engine is a good engine.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it really matter what engine's in it? I mean yes it makes for an excellent discussion, but personally I'd like to know how they got 850hp out of the Saab engine.. not why they didn't use the GM one. :lol:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Does it really matter what engine's in it? I mean yes it makes for an excellent discussion, but personally I'd like to know how they got 850hp out of the Saab engine.. not why they didn't use the GM one. :lol:
Ok I agree with you there! An 850HP saab is still a great thing to behold no matter how they did it!!

·
7,595 Posts
well my opinion of this is that if you are going to build up a 93 SS, use the engine that it came with. If you are going to build up a 9000 aero, use the engine that that car came with. swaping a 9000 engine and gearbox into a 93SS is a bit silly- (everything in the pics indicates that this was EXACTLY what they did). Now we know the saab motor (like that in the pikes peak car) is quite capable of generating massive amounts of power, but I find it somewhat interesting that rather than build up an already very capable engine- they would rather re-engineer a car to fit an engine that's really no better than what they are taking out, and weighs a whole lot more!

just odd is what I am saying here..... Perhaps this project was undertaken before it was well known that the ecotec was such a capable engine

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
DeLorean said:
but I find it somewhat interesting that rather than build up an already very capable engine- they would rather re-engineer a car to fit an engine that's really no better than what they are taking out, and weighs a whole lot more!
weight = traction this is a FWD car remember and all the weight should be ontop of those wheels to help it hook up off the line.

·
7,595 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
DeLorean said:
but I find it somewhat interesting that rather than build up an already very capable engine- they would rather re-engineer a car to fit an engine that's really no better than what they are taking out, and weighs a whole lot more!
weight = traction this is a FWD car remember and all the weight should be ontop of those wheels to help it hook up off the line.
that has nothing to do with it, if there is less overall weight, then acceleration time will be reduced. by the "logic" you just used, a mac truck should be fast as hell because it has 1000 HP and is heavy.

true, the weight it has should be over the front wheels, but less overall weigth is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts