Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo is flaking out on me!

It will frequently stick to 40 mph, no higher, no lower. Other times it works fine and reads accurately, but it's very disconcerting, especially in an area where the cops are picky about speed.

Someone had mentioned a speed sensor in the past, but the Saab dealer told me that there is no such sensor in my car, the speedo gets fed info from the ABS sensors in the wheels - not sure which wheel it would be, or if it's just one of them. He also suggested that it's most likely the speedometer itself, rather than a sensor causing the problem.

Anyone out there ever seen this type of issue?

I'd be happy for any advice.

'97 900 SET 'vert 5-speed

·
Registered
546 Posts
The sensor is at the rear wheels. But check the odometer next time the speedometer feaks out. If the miles still ticks over normally you know that the gauge is messed up and not the sensor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This confuses me - I'd heard somewhere else that the one used for speed is on the left (drivers) front wheel.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If the speed sensor was on the front wheels then spinning the wheels would cause an incorrect speed reading. After some research it appears it is the ABS system that sends vehicle speed to the ECU. It uses sensors at each wheel to confirm speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I have noticed is that even when it's flaking out, if I hit a bump or do a sudden downshift to accellerate it sometimes snaps out of its funk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts