Saab Link Forums banner

Specs on the 9-2

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Smaart Aas Saabr 
#1 ·
keep us updated with the specs. what are they thining they will be as of now?

#2 ·
Pretty much the same as the Subaru WRX. 227 horse turbocharged boxer engine, 5-speed tranny, AWD . . . again same as the WRX. Look for a nicer interior done by saab. So basically a subaru with saab-esque exterior and a saab designed interior. My friend has a WRX and I love it, so I don't mind the idea but I think some things could have been done differently.

Kyle

#4 ·
I just wanna test drive one, if I wanted a Sub. i'd buy one, no need to slap Saab Badges on a Sub. and call it a Saab.... It's just another way for GM to sell the same car as something else. If it's cheaper then a WRX, then it may work, but if that is all they wanted to accomplish, then lower the price! Sorry if i sound bias, it's just that i don't think they need to waste their time on a "Saab" that isn't a Saab. It may be a good car, but.... just isn't right.

#5 ·
i have heard the ignition wont be in the usual saab place....
:cry:
Burs....you are right...its realy not a saab anymore.....but we all knew it would happen one day....we would be taken over by aliens....i meen.. :(

its still gunna be cool driving an awd that says saab on it!!! :)

#6 ·
sad day

Yeah, when i heard that GM had total control and they'd be moving production over to japan i knew it was the end of an era, almost makes me want to throw away all my GE appliances.

#7 ·
It better not be too much like the wrx inside. Its just gonna be wierd. I hate the horizontally opposed 4 sound that they have. My buddy has one with basically one small muffler and no cats on it and its so loud and annoying. And they are only fast off the line too.....i toasted my other friends who has full exhaust, GReddy FMIC, intake, and maybe a few other things. I let him pass me about 70 and he thought i was still floorin it, but then i gunned it again and passed him at about 110.

#8 ·
Saab is now benefitting from the genius of GM Management 'leadership.'

Following on the GM precedents of Geo, Asuna, and the late Oldsmobile brands, Saab has embraced the concepts of global platform sharing (the 9-3SS aka the Malibu sport package) and product rebranding (9-2 aka Asuna WRX). What's next? A pushrod V6 'upgrade?'

The best cars have always been designed by guys with passion following their dreams. Not by a committee of MBAs and soccer mom focus groups.

#10 ·
slaab said:
Saab is now benefitting from the genius of GM Management 'leadership.'

Following on the GM precedents of Geo, Asuna, and the late Oldsmobile brands, Saab has embraced the concepts of global platform sharing (the 9-3SS aka the Malibu sport package) and product rebranding (9-2 aka Asuna WRX). What's next? A pushrod V6 'upgrade?'

The best cars have always been designed by guys with passion following their dreams. Not by a committee of MBAs and soccer mom focus groups.
They share a platform, but you can't really believe that the 9-3 and Malibu are even remotely similar cars, can you?

#14 ·
The 9-2X and 9-7X are "band-aid" cars. Their sole existence is for one or two (maybe three) model years and then they will be replaced by "real Saabs", much like the 9-3SS.

Production of Saabs will always remain in Sweden. It is simply not effective to produce a model that 90% of sales go to the US that isn't made in the US (9-7X).

9-2X, well, there is a perfectly good factory in Japan. It's not like Subarus are Kia Rios or something on that level, Subarus have always been good cars. The next-generation 9-2X will be far more "Saabish".

9-3 versus Chevy Malibu:

Malibu:
4 or 5 door sedan/hatch
4-cyl 2.2 (140hp) or 3.5 V6 (200hp)
Automatic / 5-speed stick
Relatively dull, but exciting compared to last Malibu
Mid-size car
Family car
$$$

Saab 9-3:
2-door convertible / 4-door sedan
4-cyl 1.8 gas, 2.0 turbo (3 flavours), 2.2 diesel (115-210hp)
5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 5-speed automatic
Saabish
Smaller than Malibu
Luxury/sport/family/sedan
$$ to $$$$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.