Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the difference is just the "heat range" but can someone explain what this means for our cars? Eeuro has both of them for my car (01 9-3 SE tuned stage 1ish) but says the 7's are for "hard driving". This seems to contradict what I've seen which says colder plugs are for higher boost to keep things cooler/reduce knock.

tl;dr: long story short which plugs are better to use in my car? (01 9-3 SE tuned stage 1ish)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I always get whatever plugs eeuroparts lists for my model but since you said they list 2 options then I'm not quite sure, I'm sure someone wit more knowledge will chime in

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I know the difference is just the "heat range" but can someone explain what this means for our cars? Eeuro has both of them for my car (01 9-3 SE tuned stage 1ish) but says the 7's are for "hard driving". This seems to contradict what I've seen which says colder plugs are for higher boost to keep things cooler/reduce knock.

tl;dr: long story short which plugs are better to use in my car? (01 9-3 SE tuned stage 1ish)
I'm not understanding your confusion but this is what it means. The higher the number, the colder the plug. There are a few differences in design but the basic idea is that the insulators they use are shorter in the cold plugs to dissipate heat from the copper core faster. Tunes will increase EGT's so a colder plug keeps the spark from blowing out and such.

Go with the 7's :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
In old day's, before copper plugs, and you were a "barn tuner" (Swedish expression, maybe you called them that here to?) you went as cold as you could go, until you started to have problems at cold start and low load on the engine. The plugs would get soaked with fuel because the temperature was to low to burn them clean. NGK changed everything in the 70:s with it's copper, and wide temperature range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts