·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
a little info. on the car, 1972 saab sonett II
wheel bace 91" NHRA rule 90" +6" from stock
weight 2200 lbs,eng 2.0L turbo,trans turbo 350 w/trans brake,rear end ford
9" 370 gears,sup. stock front,4 link rear,tires 32x13x15 drag slick rear 195x50x15 front,full tube chassis 1 5\8 [1 5/8 hand rail tubing is cheap] 5gal fuel cel. bosh pump [80 900] 116 race fuel, injectors some gm things flow rate ???
car likes them, will pull them & ck if you would like, exhast manfold stock [9000]
turbo. stock exhast, AR60 intake side, incooler stock [9000], intake stock runners [9000 non turbo] box welded on to move throttle housing [stock]
to the front of eng.
engine, 2.0l non turbo block @ head w/2 exhast cams [stock], APC none ,ignition, stock DI,fuel stock LH 2.4
Some people call this not a true SAAB??

Will add pictures soon

Attachments

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Sounds like a Saab with a working drivetrain! Sounds great - but a 1972 Sonett would be a III as I suspect a mistype on the II ;) Can't wait to see pictures - I always figured the Sonett would be a RWD project car based on it's natural sporty looks. Nice job - awaiting photos'

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
True enough for me.

Nice work sir. Be proud of what you have made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the car, just have a question.

Why not run a B204 with Trionic 5?
to run a B204 I need to change the rear motor plate,flywheel and ft motor plate.
T5 has a boost cap. the window is -1b to+2b from sea I have not tested the new after mark. senors that have came out.
we have had this system at 40lbs of boost runs good,change to 20lbs of boost with 300hp shot of nos.runs good,the only problem we had was braking pistons.yes we melted some to but +38 bace timming was to high for LV NV
we are set up now at 30lbs of boost 10-1 pistons and have 2 years on this motor.
if it works why change.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
to run a B204 I need to change the rear motor plate,flywheel and ft motor plate.
T5 has a boost cap. the window is -1b to+2b from sea I have not tested the new after mark. senors that have came out.
we have had this system at 40lbs of boost runs good,change to 20lbs of boost with 300hp shot of nos.runs good,the only problem we had was braking pistons.yes we melted some to but +38 bace timming was to high for LV NV
we are set up now at 30lbs of boost 10-1 pistons and have 2 years on this motor.
if it works why change.:)
I see. How did you get LH to provide the fueling for that much boost? Does it idle, etc?

Also, 3 bar map sensors work on T5.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
That car is crazy and I like it.

You are right, if it works, why change it. Although I would think T5 or stand alone would give you more control over the engine.

Did you make your own adapter plate for the ford rear end then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see. How did you get LH to provide the fueling for that much boost? Does it idle, etc?

Also, 3 bar map sensors work on T5.
dino reads too rich, tail pipe reads too lean, spark plugs reads too hot :confused:
the o2 sensor blocked by the lead in the fuel ???
I have changed the fuel pressure & the injector the car spit & pops
fuel pressure is 45psi eng off. pump running
make sure your pump can flow, injector full flow x 4 at hi boost +10
idles at 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I'm looking at the front end here... did you make the nose longer and wider to fit the 9000 IC and that radiator in there with all that room? Or does the 16V sit that much further back?

I like the cold air intake setup you have. How does that route to the turbo? Looks like it goes around the back of the engine? What size is the PCV and the reducers you used?

No cooling fans needed on the IC I guess for short fast passes? Would it be worth a another pair of c900 fans on the IC to help cool the air more?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm looking at the front end here... did you make the nose longer and wider to fit the 9000 IC and that radiator in there with all that room? Or does the 16V sit that much further back?

I like the cold air intake setup you have. How does that route to the turbo? Looks like it goes around the back of the engine? What size is the PCV and the reducers you used?

No cooling fans needed on the IC I guess for short fast passes? Would it be worth a another pair of c900 fans on the IC to help cool the air more?
the front end was moved forward and the rear end was moved back to make the 90" rule for NHRA, the eng is set back 8" from front axle center line. the
NHRA rule is. eng set back 10% of wheel base.
the rear body was widened to straight side lines for tires.the front is stock

the inlet pipe is 3" around the eng. to the turbo. 3"x2" rubber PVC reducer on the turbo.

we only run on battery power.eng warm up is in the water box,stage,boost, launch. cooling fan is always on.
with elect. water pump and no t stat the eng. is at out side temp before each run. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts