Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from the shop yesterday and my saabs electrical interior only works when the car is off. When I start my car the only lights that work are the ones on the dash/tail and head lights. I can't adjust my seat or turn on any other lights in the car. all my warning lights are one on including the "ABS, emergency break, air bag, traction control, check engine light," and any other possible thing that could be on. My blinkers only work 50% of the time and my hazard triangle in the car only lights up when I press the breaks and the ABS light only goes off when I press the breaks. It's also occasionally dinging at me but I don't know what it's about. None of this was a problem before I brought it to the shop. All I had done was a new tie rod installment and I got new tires put on. What the hell could be going on . And also when I press the breaks sometimes it makes a "boing" sound and I can feel in under the pedal. Hellllp:( I just spent $450 expecting my car to be fixed but now it seems to be having more problems than before

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Get it back to that shop and don't leave until they un-do whatever they fucked up. It's on them to fix this.

Start reading about your consumer's rights with your local Bureau of Automotive Repair. They have help lines that you can call and explain the situation to get assistance.

This is probably not something that someone over the internet can help you diagnosing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get it back to that shop and don't leave until they un-do whatever they fucked up. It's on them to fix this.

Start reading about your consumer's rights with your local Bureau of Automotive Repair. They have help lines that you can call and explain the situation to get assistance.

This is probably not something that someone over the internet can help you diagnosing.
is it me or do these crazy horror stories about how bad saabs are only seem to pop up after someone takes it to a mechanic?

i really have a feeling (call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever) that shops fuck with saabs because they have a reputation for being a little weird and milk money out of people until they give up on the car. and the convince them its because its a saab.

dont get me wrong, ive had my fair share of problems with saabs, but nothing not be expected from driving an older car youre trying to get more power out of....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Saabs - some of the guys at my old shop fucked up several cars they were unfamiliar with - a Range Rover or two, a BMW comes to mind, and seriously messed up a Prius because they dove in without the correct tools, training, or service information, and got in over their heads.

It can happen to anyone who doesn't know what they are doing or are unfamiliar with some of the quirky things that each make of car exhibits. I wouldn't want to work on any new Volvos, I don't have the expertise.

But knowing when you don't know what you are doing doesn't seem to be a common virtue, at least where I live.

Get thee to someone who knows what the f*** they are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, I love my saab to death.. I hate when it's not running to it's full potential. The thing is, I've never had a problem with this guy. We've been going to him for years and he's been awesome and charges so much less than anywhere else I've tried bringing my car. Hes into saabs and I don't think he'd ever intentionally try to fuck up something with my car. He's familiar with saabs and has worked on my car numerous times even when the previous owner had it. My boyfriend is the one who picked it up from the shop and he told me when he first started it there and drove it home, it didn't have any of those problems. All these weird mishaps happened the second time we started the car after bringing it home from the shop. I left a message but haven't gotten a call back yet. I don't think my mechanic would've had me taken it home if he knew the car had all these problems.

I have an appointment for next Monday, hopefully nothing goes wrong in the meantime. Thanks guys for your input, gonna get it scanned and I'll definitely look into consumers rights

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
This.

He might have given the job to an assistant because it's so simple, and his guy screwed up one of the ground attachment points or something else that an experienced tech wouldn't have messed up.

Glad you're taking it back...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's probably something simple like that, let us know what it ends up being.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like they pulled the wiring harness apart and didn't get it quite back together, or spilled beer into the fuse box. Did they ever get it fixed?

·
Registered
156 Posts
For anyone wondering and i dont know who will see this, but the problem was a faulty voltage regulator in the alternator. It was over charging the battery causing all of these electrical issues.

Cant believe my ex gf didnt update you all! 7 years later is better than never right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts