Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just visited with a lady we serve who's husband drove an 89 900S, that minty greenish metalic color.

The car has very little rust, and overall looked pretty good. It has 107k miles on it. I tried calling the Jeffs and Ian, but nobody was home. :roll: Its a coupe, and I think will look good with those 16" Super aeros. I'm going to offer $425 next week, but know we will settle at $450, as she was only really looking for about $500. Pics to come.

·
7,595 Posts
sounds like a find. I think I saw your number pop up in my missed calls, I don't always have the cell on me... Sounds like a good buy for a low mileage car like that.

so the most important question-

when are you going to start collecting parts for the turbo swap? :twisted:

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called both you guys....Burns, ask your sis or whoever was at home.

No turbo swap, its just a nice looking car to tool around in while I strip the body off the Enduro. This way I have a car to drive while mine goes in for body work. And then later when the new head and whatnot goes in.

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No the idiots never figured out how to put the cv shaft in properly, broke off all the tripod bearings. On top of that, they never got the other cars out of the way so I could trailer it to SAABCARe. I figure just let it sit in the spot and get in thier way.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sorry ben i was at work when you called. Normally not a problem but we're moving into a new building so its been busy.

Sounds like a great deal to me, I have 1 or 2 working NA ECU's around here I can probably get you a good deal on. is it a 5spd or auto?

Actually sounds like a rare car. The 900S were less common because most people would just spend the extra $$ and get a 900T over the 900S....same luxery options but with more power. And I"m told that green color is kind of on the rare side.

I'll PM ya,
ian

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nah, 900 S are a dime a dozen and likely the best "quality" used c900 availible.

Turbo models are usually driven VERY VERY hard, as all 900 turbo owners know :wink: but often this has been coupled with lack of maintenance to give a low-quality example. I know - my 900 S is a museum piece at 153k miles but my 900 turbo is a real hunk of junk in comparison, and I paid $150 more for the 1.75 year older, rustier, and crapped-out turbo! (as compared to a near-mint faded red 900 S...)

900 S have much reduced top-end performance (top speed = 180km/h as opposed to ~230km/h) but the low-end isn't so bad (short gearing). They are usually driven by people without the driving penchant like 900 turbo buyers (and anyone who really likes driving would spring for the turbo when new...) and thus have likely never been to their limits. And maintenance isn't as much a problem.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well i guess I will have to rephrase my comment. In my area the 900S is more rare then a 900T. Altough I still think it holds true all around.

After having my metallic gray 900S totalled. I had to find ones for sale to prove in court that it was worth what I said it was wroth. The guys insurance company sent me a list of cars they felt were simular to mine. After reading thru the whole list of 25 (all with in 1.5 from my house) only 3 were 900S and 2 of these 3 were 4 doors. All the rest were turbo's or plain 900.

From what I have seen the 900S is kind of rare compared to the turbo because for the extra $$ people would just get the turbo model if they were looking at an S.

Ian

·
Registered
88 Posts
There's an ad near me - sells 1991 9000 s for about $1000. ;) Manual, leather, power roof, seats, etc. Needs brake and exhaust work.. Just thought I'd post while we're on the subject.

·
Registered
40 Posts
tweek thats one of the reasons i do all my own work if its fucked up -only me to blame ;instead of paying someone to fuck things up and charge you into the bargain /i've had a few fights with garage owners ,always ends up with them having a sore face and ribs :twisted:

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The whole story with the 9000 was somebody took it to this shop, wich my buddys dad worked at. I ended up buying it on site, but the let the shop rookie mess with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts