Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 9K Aero. 208K, auto.

Bought in July on the cheap, performed beautifully since with little more than new tires, alignment, fresh DIC, plugs, and oil change.

Car smokes blue out the exhaust on an engine-cold start. Stops smoking when engine reaches normal temp. Can get pretty bad if I let the car idle for a while, so I try to get it warm asap.

On warm starts, I get about 5-10 seconds of burning oil smell thru the vents, but not bad enough for me to see smoke out the tailpipe.

I can hear a faint turbo whistle, but it sounds the same as my '03 9-3 SS used to. Not even close to as bad as the failed bearing in my c900 earlier this year.

So how bad is it, doc? Turbo? If it's the turbo, should I consider an upgrade? A bit more than the 200hp would be nice -- I got smoked by a C63 AMG getting on the highway today. Can the 4sp auto handle it? Will I need to T5 Suite it?

Alternately, could it be valve seals and what kind of damage am I looking at there?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Is it a continuous plume of smoke or just a puff when you start the car?

edit-Also in a 9k any kind of funny smell through the vents usually means your heater core is leaky.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continuous, at least until I start driving. Letting it idle seems to make it worse, so now I don't start the car until the very last second and immediately start driving. No smoke or smell that way.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
pull the plastic inlet off the turbo compressor, grab the shaft of the turbo and see how much lateral (side to side), and thust (in-out) movement there is. Spin it by hand and see how things feel.

If the turbo feels tight, you may be looking at a head gasket. If the turbo feels wobbly and crappy, replace it and see what that gets you.

Good news is that the automatic Aero got the Garrett T25; same as all 1994-1997 CS & CSE's. They're VERY plentiful. Should be cheep.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. i'll check for shaft play this weekend (unless the info below says I don't need to...)

popped the hood today to check the oil and it was a bit low. (makes sense, i've been burning it.) coolant looked fine and full, right at max. but...

noticed the PCV line was partially (mostly) out of its home on the valve cover. am i right in assuming that if the PCV wasn't correctly attached, the crank case would become pressurized and thus be the cause of my smoking issues? and plugging back in should make it go away? i haven't let it idle for very long yet to see if that fixed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts