Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 2002 9/3 there is smoke coming from the front near the vents next to the fog lights and also in the rear behind the engine and i recently noticed there is sludge on the bottom of the engine near the exhaust could this be related to the smoke and the smoke briefly goes away when the fan kicks on

any ideas

thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oil leak onto the exhaust perhaps? If it "goes away" when the fan is on its probably just getting blown back, does it do this every time? Are you low on oil or putting oil in all the time? And how oily/greasy is it under the car? Do you leave drops on the ground? My Saab has a leak at the dizzy and the steering rack, the steering rack leaks onto the exhaust sometimes and makes it stink a bit. There is one benefit to leaking oil............less rust under the car LOL but as a former (laid off) and now home mechanic I hate working on oily cars LOL.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's usually the oil pressure sending unit leaking and dripping down onto the downpipe. Peak down behind the engine and see if notice burnt oil on top of the cat.
The cats on those are that close to the engine????? Wow, my 900 is way different then I guess, my cat is halfway down the car about where the parking brake is LOL.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theres some burnt oil on the exhaust and its oily underneath saab in clark summit said its something with the evap system since im throwing a code i will know for sure on the 15th im bringing it up for some recall service and metioned this on the phone when i called

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
The cats on those are that close to the engine????? Wow, my 900 is way different then I guess, my cat is halfway down the car about where the parking brake is LOL.
The very early ng900s had the cats further back, not right under the motor. Sometime in 1995 or 1996 they moved it under the motor.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The very early ng900s had the cats further back, not right under the motor. Sometime in 1995 or 1996 they moved it under the motor.
Oh yeah your right, now that I think about it my 1994 NG900 NA parts car's cat was further back. I was going cut the exhaust off and keep it as a spare but when I looked at it, it was so much different I just left it (not to mention it was rusted to shit)

Was it just the N/As?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's usually the oil pressure sending unit leaking and dripping down onto the downpipe. Peak down behind the engine and see if notice burnt oil on top of the cat.
it is the oil pressure sending unit i found some on partsgeek.com they are cheap im putting it on a lift in class wensday for an alignment im gunna look better then but its looking like the oil pressure sending unit

·
Registered
149 Posts
how cheap like $25 or under on partsgeek.com i think the cheapest one is $23 should i go with original saab manufactured parts or just find a deal
Yeah it's really grim underneath there oil and stuff, and the smell is terrible ! get that fix. oh and find out about the SID i think its called, the thing above your radio, by the night panel button.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it's really grim underneath there oil and stuff, and the smell is terrible ! get that fix. oh and find out about the SID i think its called, the thing above your radio, by the night panel button.
my SID is fine i got limited edition j/k its busted i will worry about that and the left mirror when the DI the oil pressure sending unit and that other recall is fixed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts