Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not sure how many of you know this, but I mow lawns and do small engine/outdoor power equipment repair for my job as well as being a student. I thought we could all share what we have in our garages or what we collect or fix. I don't know if anyone besides me is interested in any of this but I know I am. All pictures are welcome pertaining to lawn and garden equipment. Lawn mowers (push and tractors), weedwackers, chainsaws, any projects that you have, and any farm tractors or equipment. Also, feel free to share mods and pics of what you've done to your equipment.

To start off, I'll share just one picture with you for now. My 1988 Bolens ST120

Specs:
-hydrostatic transmission
-14.5hp OHV Briggs and Stratton engine (upgraded from a 12hp Briggs I/C)
-38" deck w/ electric PTO
Mods:
-custom lighted rocker panel for electric fuel shut off (on top of dash board)
-SOON TO COME: lighted rocker controlled head lights and LED tail lights

I have other equipment as well, and will upload pics and specs at a later date. Let's see what YOU guys've got!!! :D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Dude, Bolens have to be the Worst lawn mowers I have ever had the pain of working on. You will be a Master Lawn mower MIKANIK in no time if you put that thing to severe duty. I appreciate your Gumption the most.:th_MySaab900Like: Now go Make A BUCK!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cool thread. Old workhorse, now relegated to plow duty, is a 1985-ish Craftsman 14hp twin. Manual trans, just starting to leak a little oil at the pulley :(, but plows snow like a champ. Been in the family for about 22 years - I remember picking it up with my dad in the late 80s, then I inherited it when we bought our own place in 2006.

New purchase this year is an 07 JD X300. Kawi twin, hydro drive. 165-ish hours and it's a great machine. Weak point in the 300 series is the residential-grade K46 hydro transaxle, but it's a pretty easy upgrade to a K72. Either that, or an x500 or x700 series in a few years.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My neighbors race lawn mowers. It's hilarious. They have sponsors, a trailer and everything. I heard what sounded like a 4 wheeler running down the road and looked outside to see a lawn mower doing what looked like about 30. lol

I could take a pic of our 21 HP Brigs Cub Cadet with a 48" deck later on, but it's nothing special.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude, Bolens have to be the Worst lawn mowers I have ever had the pain of working on. You will be a Master Lawn mower MIKANIK in no time if you put that thing to severe duty. I appreciate your Gumption the most.:th_MySaab900Like: Now go Make A BUCK!
I must disagree with you on that one sir. Granted, when mine was built, it was made by Toro (instead of Husky) but Toro is still a great brand. Now they're made by MTD, so if you've only worked on ones within the past 10ish years they're all MTD crap. The originial 12hp I/C Briggs was awesome and lasted for 23 years before I swapped it out just a couple weeks ago. (due to bad rings and cracked piston.) It will work hard, and it runs great now. It's a great tractor and has been used hard every day of it's life since my grandfather bought it new. Thanks for the compliment about the gumption, I don't know any other 16 year-olds who have their own lawn mowing and engine repair business under their own name.

I do make good money with my busy, so I am making a buck. Quite a few in fact. I've got 5 running push mowers waiting to sell next spring. This Bolens is my little project.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Turbo00

I love those old craftsman tractors as well. Nice one! I'd love to find one with a Kholer engine in it somewhere for cheap. I also like John Deere's, that one is really nice! Cherish it! :)

Thanks for the pics and info! I'm glad to have some participation in this thread.

J-Rod: Go ahead! All pics are welcome!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've just acquired a JD300 like the one pictured above when I married a Mainer that had one. So, it was time to (finally) tear apart the Craftsman DTX4000 (or something like that) with the infamous Kohler 27 HP V-Twin. Ya know, head gasket problems and all. So, I replaced the HG's with the Kohler kits. I removed the cylinder studs and replaced them with the bolts in the kits. Everything went well, no more HG leaks.

The problem now is oil coming out of the little hole in the labyrinth-like breather that is located in the "crotch" of the V-Twin. Blowby seems almost non-existent when I remove the vacuum line from the valve cover. I noticed a reed-like check valve of some sort that allows crankcase pressure into the rocker arm/pushrod area of the cylinder with the valve cover vacuum line to the carb for PCV purposes.

Am I missing something here? I don't get it- that is the oil dribbling out of that labyrinth style breather in the v-twin crotch. It's like it's overfilled, but it isn't. I set that project aside about a month ago. Kinda like a time out for failed projects. I'd like to finish it before snow fall. It only has 165 hrs on it and looks/runs good. Cylinders looked good, including cross hatch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's dribbling out oil and letting it into the carb, you either:

A: need to get a new crankcase breather assembly

B: get a new crankcase breather kit with a new reed and the internals.

Shouldn't be too hard; I've only messed with Briggs and Stratton ones though.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
I'll just leave this here:

Kawi FC540V 17hp single. Burns oil, loves life.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have a push mower

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I don't have any pics of it but my step dad has a 24ish year old 16hp vtwin Wheelhorse tractor with every single attachment and front mounted deck. Hydro drive and rear pto, thing needs a carb rebuild but is an awesome machine. Certainly don't make em like that anymore. With the mower deck off on hard accel it'll pick the front tires up.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll just leave this here:

Kawi FC540V 17hp single. Burns oil, loves life.
That. Is. AWESOME.

Is that a Murray frame? 42" cut? Kawi engine must be aftermarket right? I didn't think Murray had enough dignity to put Kohler or Kawi engine in a tractor....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My neighbors race lawn mowers. It's hilarious. They have sponsors, a trailer and everything. I heard what sounded like a 4 wheeler running down the road and looked outside to see a lawn mower doing what looked like about 30. lol

I could take a pic of our 21 HP Brigs Cub Cadet with a 48" deck later on, but it's nothing special.
It's either racing or this! Lol things are no joke!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha, would I ever want to do that? I don't know. I think I'm more of a pulley swap and tune it guy and race it on back Maine dirt roads for fun. Haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts