Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the pan and valve cover on my 00 aero w/ 136k original pcv . Things look pretty decent in there, pickup screen is not too blocked, etc... but I was noticing black gunk on the inside of the block and and in the timing chain area. Doesn't look serious, but not clean like how I would like it.

Now my question is, should I clean this? And if so, how? If not, please explain why it doesn't matter. Thanks much!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doesn't look all that bad. I cleaned a 9-5 oil pan and pickup screen and I was always told to clean to the point where you "could eat off of it". Lacquer Thinner will work wonders with a little bit of scrubbing.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I wouldn't try to physically remove anything on the block itself, but the sump can be soaked/brushed with acetone, brake cleaner or oven cleaner (if fumes are an issue, go with citrus degreaser. Just warm the pan a little before you apply it, and let it soak for a few hours...)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I was going to use a carb and choke type cleaner, I will experiment a bit. I may have not been super clear, I am no doubt going to clean the oil pan and valve cover, but I wasn't sure if I should attempt to clean on the inside of the block and near the timing chain. I don't want to damage anything with solvents or something.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You can try, but you run the risk of dislodging more crap...which will just end up back in the sump and on the screen. The problem is that the gritty crap will plug the screen eventually

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I don't see any real sludge there, looks like a normal saab engine to me
+1....

Looks prett good, aside from the expected sump crud. I'd leave the block alone. There's no varnish on the cam timing sprockets, nor any on the sides of the cam lobes.

There's always some varnish inside the timing chain/oil pump cover, but that's better left as is.

For peace of mind, you might try a couple of cleanings with a citrus-based oil additive, but frequent changes should eliminate the need for that...

·
Registered
669 Posts
In addition to what others have suggested, I had good luck with adding that Seafoam stuff to the crankcase and allowing the normal cycling of the crank-powered oil pump do the work for me but, since you already have the pan off and are in there, I'd take advantage of the opportunity to clean everything I possibly could while it is easy to do so.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks like a well taken care of engine...you will have no problem cleaning this up...the cleanest way to do this is bring it to shop that will dip the oil pan...but all you need is some rags and carb cleaner, seafoam, etc...I would guess that because you have taken the time to remove the cover, etc, you will keep the engine oil change and should have no problems in the future...you do have some minor oil starvaton near the chain and that is pretty normal...spray some cleaner around that area and the engine oil should do the rest...another area of issue other than the oil screen is the oil pump...but in my opinion you can also pour some Mobile 1 synthetic AT fluid on the top of the engine and run the car for a few days and then drain it and put fresh oil in...you can then check the top of the head and it should be pretty clean after that. There is some negative opinions on AT fluid..but I have used it for many many years with no problem...even the guy from Swedish Wrench does the same thing...

Articles:

http://www.saabpros.com/saab/nines/articles/nines_285.pdf

http://www.serioussaab.co.uk/articles_pages/sludge.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. I decided to just clean the sump and valve cover. I have it all back together, but i pinched the damn valve cover gasket so I will be redoing that later this week. I will keep up with my regular oil changes, and have another look inside this summer.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
In addition to what others have suggested, I had good luck with adding that Seafoam stuff to the crankcase and allowing the normal cycling of the crank-powered oil pump do the work for me but, since you already have the pan off and are in there, I'd take advantage of the opportunity to clean everything I possibly could while it is easy to do so.
I think the topic of seafoam has been up for debate in a thread somewhere on here.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
sometimes just doing a few premature oil changes can get all that grime cleaned up, do five oil changes at 1000 mile intervals, and youll see it come out black every time.

your pickup screen doesnt look bad at all, i was horrifyed when i dropped the pan on my wagon. the pan was spotless but the pickup screen was completely clogged.

generically speaking those mettle shavings come from the timing chain, or balance shaft chain. so the more mettle you find, the more you should be scared about your timing system.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I don't see any real sludge there, looks like a normal saab engine to me
Looks the way my engine looked.

Clean the stuff off the pickup screen and slap it back together. Keep doing whatever you were or the previous owner was doing because it's clearly worked.

Also upgrade to the PCV update #6 and replace any hoses not included in the kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No metal in the pan whatsoever, luckily. I ended up reuseing the old valve cover headgasket with some anerobic 518, worked well. All rubber pcv hoses were replaced, pickup tube o-ring replaced (that one was hard as rock, broke it as I took it off). One hose I didn't replace was the turbo oil return, didn't feel smushy or anything. I will get to that this summer, for now she sits in the garage, waiting for the snow to melt.

·
Registered
279 Posts
When the gt-17 went south at 150k miles we swapped it out for a TD-04 and in the process dropped the oil pan. I bought the car with 46k miles on it and change w/ Mobil 1 every 5-6k miles.

The pan had some varnish, and as you can see the pickup screen was pretty clean. I ended up soaking the pan and pickup in a bath of HOT water for about 45 minutes. I then soaked it with Green Citrus cleaner that Jeff had at his shop and used a scrub brush. As you can see it cleaned right up.

·
Registered
669 Posts
On second glance, that engine looks completely refurbished/new, which more so calls into question the reason for the deposits on the pickup tube screen.

I had read somewhere that someone (Saab maybe) had eventually attributed the debris (except for those with actual metal deposits from worn gear teeth/bearings) to deteriorated hoses (as opposed to built up carbon deposits), of all things, and had thus eliminated the need for an updated crankcase breathing kit (and ever and whatever other form of 'remedy' Saab and Saab enthusiasts and tuners alike have come up with over the years) to address this reoccurring issue with our cars by simply installing better hoses and that the issue is completely nonexistent on the newer/later models!

Now, from what I know of these engines, the only 'hoses' in the entire oil circulation system (with the exception of those that the PCV system consist of) are those found running to and coming from the oil cooler, ergo, perhaps it is that the only thing need be done to permanently remedy this Achilles heel is a hose upgrade to a better quality hose? Silicone perhaps?

Just a thought.

·
7,595 Posts
Anyone who has pulled off a PCV hose that had at least 100K miles on it should be able to see the deteriorating hoses must be a big issue - but only due to the stupidly fine screen material in the pick-up screen. Those old PCV hoses typically will dissolve right in your hand! The inside of the PCV hoses are probably always always letting off small bits into the engine oil. If only the pick up screen was not so fine, they would simply get sucked in, pumped through the oil pump and caught in the oil filter like it is intended for. Stupid design Saab!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts