Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all heard the sludge/clogged oil screen horror stories....

I never saw the problem in person, or how serious it could get. Check out the pictures below (apologize for the crappy cell phone quality). Pickup tube came from a 97 Talladega 900 Turbo with 240kmi's that was in the SAAB repair shop (RL Smith in NY)my father works at. When the car got loaded on a flatbed after an accident, the flatbed operator broke the car's oil pan. The oil pan was replaced yesterday and this is what was hidden deep inside!

Suprisingly, a new oil pan, cleaned screen, etc and the car was running without a tick or anything. The debris on the screen was so incredibly thick and HARD, I don't know how the car didn't have oil pressure or other problems. I couldn't even flake the collected debris off with a screwdriver as it was so glued on to the screen! The screen/pickup tube is being made into an in-office promo so customers can see the dangers of going too long between oil changes.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Holy Shit!! And it wasnt even a t7 car... Shows you how important timely oil changes and full synth is on saabs
The main issue with the T7 is not the design of the motor causing sludge, it was the fact that Saab said, "Hey, go ahead and wait 10k between oil changes!"

You know that people over-extend their OCI when it is supposed to be every 3k...maybe go an extra 1-2k over what they are supposed to. But think of what happens when you are already at 10k and you are just so used to not changing the oil that you go an extra several thousand...

"Hey, I already went 10k, what is another 5k going to hurt?"

Seems logical to car people that you need to change the oil in a timely manner, but I know soooooo many car people who really don't have any idea they need to change the oil until the car starts "acting funny" or something.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The main issue with the T7 is not the design of the motor causing sludge, it was the fact that Saab said, "Hey, go ahead and wait 10k between oil changes!"

You know that people over-extend their OCI when it is supposed to be every 3k...maybe go an extra 1-2k over what they are supposed to. But think of what happens when you are already at 10k and you are just so used to not changing the oil that you go an extra several thousand...

Seems logical to car people that you need to change the oil in a timely manner, but I know soooooo many car people who really don't have any idea they need to change the oil until the car starts "acting funny" or something.
Holy shit!!!!!!

Somebody is seeing what I've been preaching to customers for years!!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Good point

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Holy shit!!!!!!

Somebody is seeing what I've been preaching to customers for years!!
You're a wise one, Marty!

"Oil change? Screw that, probably just the stealer trying to take me for even more money. I'll show them!"

3 months later...

"Hey dealer-guy, this car I bought from you (or someone) else is making all sorts of clattering noises? Did you screw it up last time I (or the previous owner) brought it in for service 3 years ago?! You should fix it for free! Gimme-gimme-gimme!"

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
T5 cars can sludge too. Just like the one above.

1999 9-3s with something like 140k on it: Synthetic oil changes every 5k since I bought it at 115k. Fleet car up until 50k.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I had plenty of warning with that sludge. It did a lot of whining when it got that bad.

Not too hard to fix either.

·
Registered
897 Posts
when did it whine? like just on start ups? or all the time?

my car started whining today but im hoping its just a belt driven component like one of the pulleys or something.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
just on cold starts.

Whats the oil was even a tiny bit warmer it stopped.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts