Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I followed a couple guides in SID repair, and used foam on the top and bottom of the PCB, got the unit put back together nice and snug in the housing, and when I plugged it back into the car...it was even worse! Before it was just missing a lot of pixels (a lot.), but now not only am I missing more, some of the pixels look faded! What happened? Did I do something wrong?

Is my SID just shot...? My car has 92k on the clock, pretty low for a '99 if you ask me, although I know the SIDs are notorious for crapping out.

HELP. :(

·
Registered
574 Posts
Seems age affects them more than mileage. All the ones I pulled from the junkyard were shot too (was expecting that). What has happened is the foam is probably causing the board to flex, dislodging more connections on the SID. Grab a hot glue gun and run it back and forth across the cable on the board for as long as you can tolerate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after a bit of driving (seems every time I turned it on and off I get more progress) I'm starting to see more pixels come in, a little bit brighter and brighter. The back of the SID itself seems to be a little more vibrant. Maybe there is hope after all! I can at least see the clock OK now

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This is one of the jobs that sometimes is best to leave to the pros. I'm pretty good at doing these types of repairs and decided to try and fix the speedo on my 911 following all sorts of great advice. Well after over three hours of hell, I sent it to a shop and got it back a week later looking like new. In other words, it was well worth money.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much money are we talking to have it repaired? A new SID is WAY ridiculously expensive and there doesn't seem to be too many used ones floating around anywhere...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
They are out there used - but a BBA re-man is $70 plus shipping 2 ways - or more if you just buy one instead of having them rebuild yours. Either way - BBA gives a 2 year warranty on repairs which is really nice.

GOLDWING could have a nice used one for you too - they give you a 6 month warranty at least.

BBA reman online catalogue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.