Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent her an email asking if she was the sole owner and if she had any service records. It's inspected and registered is what the article says. You can't beat $500 especially for a 1st car, the one I post about on here is technically my parents.

1988 saab 900 s

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Looks like a good first car/beater depending if it needs any work or not.

But I've never seen a c900 that has "cylanders"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal if it will pass inspection and be good to go. If such checks out, $500 is a great deal as that doesn't buy much more than a parts car these days. Check it out!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the input guys. Dan, I did notice that after I posted this. Haha yes I've never seen a car with cylanders either. :p I am also thinking about rust, but with the mileage it has on it it looks almost too good to be true. It is inspected for this year which is nice. What are the problem areas on c900s that I should look at for rust/wear etc? I think I'm gonna go look at it next Saturday, if she still has it, but I'm thinking she probably will.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
What are the problem areas on c900s that I should look at for rust/wear etc? I think I'm gonna go look at it next Saturday, if she still has it, but I'm thinking she probably will.
Wheel arches, A-arms(where they mount to the car), the floor pans, and sometimes the spare tire area. Lower lip of the door jams.

Basically, the entire underside of the car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I new about the a-arms and the wheel arches. And the lower lips of the doors. Thanks bud. I'm hoping this car doesn't have any bad rust, cause I'm really wanting it now.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Short answer-Yes

Long answer- Even if it turns out to be not as good as it seems, you can talk the price down and part it out for more than $500.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Trans? If it's a manual, watch for popping out of gear and a constant whining at higher speeds. Find out when the clutch was last done.

·
Registered
516 Posts
you can talk the price down
This. Even if the car is in decent shape with no major issues, there is no reason you need to pay the asking price. While your checking out the car, point out all it's faults to the owner, even little stuff. Then use that stuff to negotiate on the price. Obviously, the more issues it has, the lower your first offer should be. Doing this also helps force you to not ignore any issues the car might have just because you really want it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahaha thanks for all the advice guys. She hasn't emailed me back yet /: there was also a phone # to call so I may end up calling her in a couple days if I don't hear anything. As for the tranny, I hope it is a manual, I asked her to email me some interior pics so hopefully I can get a look at the inside!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jay is a nice place with good people and a better ski shop.

If you like speed on snow .... ain't no other place in the area. :cool:
In all my years of living in Maine (13 yrs) I've never been to Jay. She still hasn't emailed me back, I'll call her number today if she hasn't emailed me by the time I get home from school. :|

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
The ad was deleted.

If you are serious about buying something, and there is a phone number in the ad, don't mess around. Call them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I just noticed it was deleted today. Crap!!!! I didn't think anyone else would be interested in it. :-( Well I did get a line from a teacher at my school. Her son is selling his Saab. More info to come, so I don't know what model it is. Maybe I can get a good deal on it. Keep ya guys posted.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just found this baby on craigslist.com. I called this time and it's not an SPG, becuase that one in the picture is his moms or something. He said that his was a 2 door with steelies in the same color grey, and not a turbo. c900 S I think? Hopefully some more info to come!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think one thing to consider is that if this is going to be your first car I wouldnt be too worried on looks. With my first car you could open the trunk and see your feet but it was dead reliable (honda). Focus on a car that will start every time for you so you can enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes, but I really want a saab. And I want one that's dirt cheap, and I am finding some that are under $1000 which is what I want.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts