Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went and checked out a 93vert turbo - 94k on the clock. Automagic, blue, new blue top. NO RUST - couldn't start it, key is stuck in ignition - asking $500. Really should just buy it, but would like to know if it runs! 2nd owner, single mom, been garaged the past year, hasn't run - anyone have advice?

hotwire it? any other way to start it? no rust, even in the bottom of the doors - brand new top, all worked when parked, lady just needs it gone.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I was thinking - was just hoping to get it running! Considering going and pulling the ignition off of my 4 door @ the inlaws (hasn't been driven in over a year due to clutch issues), swapping it out, and trying to jump it. Tried wd-40 this evening, key won't go all the way in, comes partially out, like it is hung in there - tumblers maybe?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
key is stuck in lock/off position (there is wiggle) - will only pull out maybe half way, seems to get stuck. Won't turn either. Wish it was easier to get to, really just want to go grab the entire switch/cylander from the 4 door and swap it - it was already replaced in the 4 door (1 key to run it, 1 to lock it :) ) figured I could at least figure out if it runs that way.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
My c900 has been known to stay running with the ignition on and the key removed.

Any way you can "turn" what's left of the key with pliers or a screwdriver?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
key is still actually there - entire key - it just won't come out or "wiggle" out of locked/off positions - kind of somewhere in between. Don't have a Bentley :-( - did see on here somewhere how to "hotwire" it - considering that - going again @ 12 tomorrow to see it in day light, take a few tools, see what I can accomplish. I think it really is nice enough to be a daily driver - if I only had the time/tools to swap in the manual from my 4 door I'd be happy, and could let my 06SC aero go to another home without hesitation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing I thought of - noticed that I could move the automatic back and forth from park to 1 and back with no problem.. could the lockout be broken? Could it be blocking the key from turning? Also thought, key will not go all the way in - going to check it out in the daytime - would feel better if I could get it running before taking it home.. or at least hear it run.. why can't it be manual!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea, what I figured, but wife doesn't want a herd in the drive... going to buy it anyway, was just hoping for a ahha! moment about what it may be.... pretty sure If i knew how to hotwire I could get it started.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I had the same problem twice, you can start your car by hot wiring it.

***Off the top of my head***

1 Wire going from the +positive battery terminal to the coil (round thing right at the front of your car attached to the radiator support, should have a rubber cover on it, test it with an meter to see which one is +positive and attach it to that one.

1 wire going from (here's where it's hazy) either that same coil terminal or the other terminal, think it's the same one though, the other end goes into the factory testing block? The round thingy that's in the fuse box and covered with a plastic cap, hook up the wire in the third slot I believe. Try a few combinations, should start up if battery is not dead, don't forget you're in reverse so two man job. OOPs automatic, you should be fine.

Edit I also changed my ignition housing/key out on 2 cars, not very hard to do. You just have to know where to drill to remove the old module. Little prep work before you get to the actual meat of it though.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
This isn't in PA is it? I looked at a car - same price, same description as this one and it had some VERY doubious front end work - aside from some hidden floor rot. Only differance I think was the top wasn't new - rest sounds the same. lol I offered $300 and I was told to get lost basically. lol I needed it like I need the one I am selling so I didn't care.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Worse case senario you get it and part it. I know I will want a few parts. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, so I bought it, would have been dumb not too - one accident, dented blue hood, so has a white hood - didn't bend anything else. not sitting a full year, more like 9 months, all fluids there, no drips on floor (unbelieveable), doors and jams no rust, not even surface, needs some buffing and detailing, dash is cracked up, needs seat covers for base front seats and ignition key/switch.... pad $500 - if it won't crank and top doesn't go up... get $250 back :)

Oh, quick photos of pickup:
http://gallery.me.com/gildedsplinters#100416

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
::. . . .Waiting for photo's to load.....::

Nice front wheels! My gawd! Has that car never had it's wheels washed?!

White hood you can prep yourself and take to get painted to match - less then $300 if you prep it and goto a MACCO my bet.

Car looks nice man! Can't beat that for $500. I hope that auto trans works well enough...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hate the auto... but I do have a 4 door N/A 5spd with a new clutch kit. If I only had the time and an engine hoist and help.... it would be done.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looks like a great deal for $500, even with the known/possible issues.

I must say, it drives me nuts how SO many people don't know enough to check their brakes, clean their wheels and rotate the tires to avoid that kind of wheel appearance/abuse.

I see a hood on the ground. Is the white one from your own stock and changed already?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.