Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its time to get a short throw... where can I get them and whos the best?

Also does saab make a carbon shift knob?

·
Registered
745 Posts
saab savior has one also..., but not adjustable like MP's.

takes about an hour to install, and feels nice when its done.

I would do a search on the custom forum for shift knobs...., as I believe you can make an aftermarket one fit relative to your taste with a little cutting on the top. Has pictures too...

good luck.

regards

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant find it.... link?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweeeet! i just got a short throw shifter :)

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my short throw today and installed it. I am extreeeemly happy with it, it reduces my throw ALOT and makes my shifting ALOT faster. It was pretty much a PAIN IN THE ASS to install but once its in the shifter no longer moves and its much stiffer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Also might consider the polyeurethane engine mount from GenuineSaab.com or someplace else.

The factory used a hydraulic mount because (according to the WIS) the dual ballance shafts on the engine don't dampen vibration as much below 1,800 RPM. For luxury, I could see this being a problem, as no one likes to plop down $40K for a luxury car that vibrates at idle ... but for performance I think it should be done away with!

Hydraulic engine mounts allow fore-to-aft movement of the engine/transaxle, and since the shifter itself is stationary, the relative movement makes shifting a lot less precise.

It's one of those mods I'm dying to get ... but too lazy to work my ass off making the money to buy, especially with more horsepower tempting me so much. :lol: :oops:

Adrian~

·
Registered
432 Posts
for the price IMO MP has the best .. but saab savior is a whole new unit vs.
MPs.. chris at MP has always treated me good and makes quality parts i would trust him anyday, and i would go with him for the short throw..

·
Registered
546 Posts
SaabTuner said:
Hydraulic engine mounts allow fore-to-aft movement of the engine/transaxle, and since the shifter itself is stationary, the relative movement makes shifting a lot less precise.
This is a good point and it's an important limitation to be aware of. The engine will rotate towards the firewall as much as 2 inches, throwing the shifter geometry out of alignment. Which mean you must wait for the engine to settle again before shifting, so high rpm quick shifts from 2nd to 3rd are impossible.

We at MP Performance are working on a simple and effective solution for this problem. It is a completely different approach from the Genuine Saab mount but should prove more effective and cost less.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ERP said:
We at MP Performance are working on a simple and effective solution for this problem. It is a completely different approach from the Genuine Saab mount but should prove more effective and cost less.
Sounds good!

$139 is quite a lot for a small piece of polymer. Granted specially formed pieces are expensive, but I'd think it would be cheaper to make a clamp/bolt which fit around an existing bushing for another vehicle which is mass-produced, and therefore much cheaper. Sometimes it doesnt' always work out that way though. D'oh!

Adrian~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts