Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I am new here and I must say this is a great site. My question: How do I do a short belt mod to bypass my power steering? I have a '97 Saab 900 w/ac, manual transmission.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Greetings! I am new here and I must say this is a great site. My question: How do I do a short belt mod to bypass my power steering? I have a '97 Saab 900 w/ac, manual transmission.
You can't because there would be no tension to drive the waterpump. I believe Nick T has created some idler pulleys to replace the PS pump for drag use, but unless you're cranking serious HP & RPM's a used or rebuilt PS pump would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for prompt response! Looks like I will have to order another ps pump
When you get one, go to O'Reilly's and borrow their power steering pump pulley removal kit. It works perfectly on ours. It can remove the old one and press the new one on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
replacing it with a used one isn't a bad idea you can usually find a whole pump pretty easy, and actually replacing it wasn't all that hard either there is just one bolt that is pretty hard to get at since it i right behind the pulley,just make sure it doesn't leak, i had to replace mine because it was leaking out of the pulley shaft and that was leaking on to the belt, long story short by the time i realized what was going on there was smoke pouring out of the hood from the idler pulley and belt that was shredded, left me hard down on the way to soc 2010 had to leave it at a saab dealer and continue the rest of the trip in one car. now when we go long trips i even have a spare, just don't trust it after that, 35 bucks for a good used pump as a back up or 700 something from a dealer, that's why i had to leave it there wasn't willing to pay that much to have them do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts