Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are tons of threads on this already but I need opinions.

I need to get something higher off the ground for my daily driver, and preferably an automatic. My left knee is quite bad, so driving a stick every day is a pain.

Unfortunately, my shifter is messed up. I tried the adjustment and still nothing. Actually, the adjustment made it worse. Before the shifter was just floppy, but now I have no fifth or reverse. Occasionally first and second are Error404, but I can wiggle the shifter and get them back.

That said, I have determined the shifter to be fubar.

Since I am selling the car, should I just replace the bushing? Or, should I save and replace the linkage with a 9-3 one from GoldWing?

Also, what is easier? Obviously the bushing is cheap and the linkage is expensive, but before dropping $137 shipped on the linkage, would it be worth my time to get the bushing first? How hard is it to change the bushing?

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Check the clutch pedal itself first. The hole that the bushing for the master cylinder goes through can get deformed and cause problems with shifting.

Mine did this, didn't know about it until the trans went thanksgiving on the highway. Should be fairly cheap to get a new pedal and go from there. Prior to that I chased down terrible clutch feel after having just replaced my clutch and slave with a new master cylinder and multiple attempts to bleed the clutch. It was discovered during my trans and clutch replacement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My clutch system is cable driven. No hydraulic stuff.

The shifter is the problem

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have more information?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My opinion is to just replace the bushing. Little white thing right? Are we talking about the same part? Mine failed on my 94 ng and I lost 1st. It wouldnt move over far enough! Yes it may be a poor design, and the updated linkage is better. If you are Trying to sell it, go the bushing route. My stock bushing lasted probably 100k miles, and the replacement has lasted at
Least 30k so far. I DO have a spare though :). And if I came across a good updated linkage I would grab it at a good price, but I'm keeping my ng for a long time I hope.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
try checking the bolt on the bottom of the shifter connecting to the shift rod to the shifter column
if that is loose, then you can have characteristic like you described, where it's difficult to find 1st, 2nd, 5th, and R (this means you will need to remove your whole center console and unbolting the shifter assembly to do so)

if it is loose then tighten it (not too tight) maybe add some thread lock to it, then proceed to aligning the the shifter/linkage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.