Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure what the part is called, but I wanted to document this for anyone searching. On the shifter selection shaft on the 5-speed, there is a seal that presses into the aluminum housing below. This seals the shift selector rod to keep crap out. There are also rubber bellows that hook around that seal, and keep grime etc from getting TO the seal. A 2nd line of defense. This is pictured below circled in red.

For changing the seal, use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to simply pound it out. It has a nice lip to seat the screwdriver against.
For installation, take a 5/8 or 11/16" deep socket (test fit to find the best). Oil/WD40 the shift rod, slide the seal on, then holding everything as square to the shifter shaft as possible, tap on the end of the socket to seat the seal into the aluminum housing. It will bottom out when seated. I put a small dab of Loctite 518 on the base of the seal for good measure.

The bellows sucked. They are oily, grease soaked, slimy etc and there is NO room to "hook" the lip of the bellows over the lip on the seal. I first cleaned them well with simple green, then turned them inside-out to clean the inner surface as well. To install....use the same socket you used to press the seal in, and spray it with WD40. Slide the seal over the socket, and it will open up the lip of the bellows allowing it to slide down the socket, and over the lip of the seal. Use a small pick or screwdriver to make sure its seated all the way around. Gently remove the socket, and spin the bellows by hand to make sure they are seated around the whole lip.

I farted around for a good 15mins before I thought of reusing the socket. A lot of times, this rubber bellows either floats around disconnected from the seal, or is just thrown away for being a hassle. Keep it on if possible.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Engine in situ?

Also what symptoms were you having that you knew to replace this? Did replacement improve shifting?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Engine in situ?

Also what symptoms were you having that you knew to replace this? Did replacement improve shifting?
Im pretty sure he's replacing it while the engine is out because in situ just sounds like a nightmare

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's correct. I had the engine out, hanging in the air. I had no symptoms of needing to replace it, but the motor was losing oil like crazy on the firewall side. I'd assumed it was the crank pulley seal (which it turned out to be) but while I was in there, I did the oil pump o-ring, crank seal, rear diff gasket, inner driver o-rings, power steering lines/hoses, and the shifter rod seal. I wanted to replace anything that holds oil in the engine, tranny, or rack. Being 22 years old and having 200,000 miles, I figured it was due, and when its hanging on a chain, its far easier.

I could see doing the seal replacement with the motor in. I don't think it would be too bad, but having a lift to work under would be key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts