Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Yup, I have a MOMO shift knob and boot on mine. Pretty straight forward. Just rip the plastic piece off the top of the metal shaft. Most of the knobs will come with screws that just go right on. I can take pics if you need me to.

Kyle

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea kyle could u take pics because Im having problems with my shift knob...it keeps coming loose and turns around. Im looking for another one as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you just pull the plastic off and the shaft should be right their, does this affect the reverse lock out or no?

·
Registered
352 Posts
NOTE: I have not changed my shift knob yet so my information may be incorrect.

Having said that...it shouldn't affect reverse lock out however you will no longer have to pull up on the knob in order to put it into reverse.

someone correct me if i'm wrong

saabvos

·
Administrator
254 Posts
You're exactly right saabvos. I'll run down and take some pics real quick guys.

Kyle

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Ok, here they are. Now, I did this a while ago so sorry if I am not too sure or vague on some things. Originally I was shifting from 2-3 and tore my original knob off. So, underneath the soft plastic top that has your 1,2,3 etc, is a hard plastic piece that the lift to reverse is connected to. I ripped that off, and if I can remember correctly, that took some definite hard work. After I got that off, I cut off the threaded part on the top of the shaft. If you are putting an after market shift knob and boot on this is necessary because you want to keep the throw similar to the orignal and your after market knob will be placed higher. Also, this will make it easier for the set screws to hold it. NOTE: Make sure to wrap a towel or something around the base to prevent metal shavings from getting into the base. After I measured and took the desired amount off, I put the boot on and wrapped it around the rectangular plastic piece at the base. I cut holes into the boot so that the tabs could go through them and it would hold it in place. Next, attatch your knob using the set screws, snap on the boot, and your good to go! Hope that and these pics help a little.

Kyle

·
Registered
369 Posts
In my opinion going to universal really makes it a pain to hit 5th. The lift for reverse is also a guide for 5th gear. Without it, you have to hunt to find 5th. I put the 9-5 knob on and like it a lot better. I wonder if the 9-3SS knob would work?

Pics on my car domain site:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/734288

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
In my opinion going to universal really makes it a pain to hit 5th. The lift for reverse is also a guide for 5th gear. Without it, you have to hunt to find 5th. I put the 9-5 knob on and like it a lot better. I wonder if the 9-3SS knob would work?

Pics on my car domain site:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/734288
So in order to put a new knob on you have to take the REverse lock out?

I was explained the reverse lock was on the BOTTOM of the shifter, not the top where the knob is

·
Registered
176 Posts
I took the reverse lift out when I installed my knob. Going into 5th in my opinion is not any more difficult then with it installed. The biggest pain was getting the old knob off , haxsaw, pliers , and alot of fighting.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I took the reverse lift out when I installed my knob. Going into 5th in my opinion is not any more difficult then with it installed. The biggest pain was getting the old knob off , haxsaw, pliers , and alot of fighting.
Yea, I found some online directions over on Saabcentral and it doesnt look TOO bad..like u said, justa lot of work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts