Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the '00 9-3 in my sig and haven't had the chance to get it home. The previous owner was driving down his street when it happened, but the serp belt just snapped. He coasted the half mile or so and pulled into his driveway. He's not too car savvy and when I saw the car it was pitch black, so I couldn't see much. He said there was a puddle of coolant under the car and assumed there was a coolant hose that got knocked off or something. Figured maybe some of you have encountered this problem in the past, any ideas as to what could be causing the coolant leak? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
My guess would be that the water pump seized up and took of the belt.

Water pump job isn't too bad as long as the car was not over heated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess would be that the water pump seized up and took of the belt.

Water pump job isn't too bad as long as the car was not over heated.
Water pump crossed my mind, but was kinda hoping it wasn't. Kept looking for a line that was taken out, but didn't notice anything. According to him it was only a half mile or so, is it a good possibility it overheated?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
just spin all the pulleys and see if any are seized up, that will let you know if anything went like the water pump, power steering pump, alternator, or idler pulley(s). You can always put a new belt on if none of the pulleys are bad and then fill it with coolant and run it to see where your leak is coming from.

·
10,303 Posts
My theory is the idler or tensioner pulley seized. Look at those for signs of melting.

The driver then overheated the car since the water pump wasn't turning. This caused either the coolant to boil out of the cap, (not a bad thing) or the headgasket to go and the head warp or crack. (worse thing).

Run the car untill warm, but don't let it overheat. See if it leaks out from anyplace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will have it home either later today or tomorrow and will start looking things over. I'll see if any of the pulleys are seized up, I'll also take a look at the idler and tensioner pulley. If I don't notice anything, I'll put a new serp belt on and see what's up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the car home and started diagnosing, Tweeks was right. The idler pulley and tensioner were both seized and I'm assuming the water pump not spinning is what caused the coolant to pool up. Ordered a new idler pulley, tensioner, and serp belt today. She should be running like a champ mid-week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts