Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
While the article is good press, those stats are honestly kind of misleading. What makes car companies money is volume. Volume % increase from 2009 to 2010 is misleading because the car company was essentially dying at this point last year. That, in combination with the fact the company still only sold about 1,000 cars means that the stats don't necessarily mean spectacular news. Other companies may have lower volume increases from one year to the next because they are more stable companies who experience lower, yet more sustainable levels of quarterly or yearly growth. Considering this, those companies who have lower volume increases from sep 09 to sep 10 than Saab may actually be doing many, many times better than our beloved swedish brand.

If I'm Victor Muller, I look at the article and say thanks for the press. Other than that, I'm calling meetings and devising ways to make next years volume increase 300%. They need to not only break the 2,000-3,000 threshold, but match companies like Audi, Mini, Infiniti, Acura, and Volvo. All of those saw volume ranging anywhere from 4,152 to 8,300 cars sold. I suspect that Saab would have to reach the middle of that range to consider the company competitive and profitable.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Id say its decent considering that the 2011 9-5 hasn't launched yet, right now you can't even custom order them really, they all come how they come minus a few things, and no sunroofs, i know my family is waiting for the 2011 to place an order (possibly). Although i agree with you that 1000 isn't insanely stellar. I'm just getting in before the haters lol, i think things will get better, there are only like 500 9-5s in the US or whatever, and the 9-3 is an ancient design @ this point, so it could be worse.

·
Registered
890 Posts
While it is true that sales volume is what makes a company profitable, it is great news to see SAAB on the rebound. Seeing the sales go up compared to last year is great news, SAAB needs some aggressive marketing now, along with good cars priced at the right level to do well. I wish them the best.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
saab sold more cars than jaguar.
jaguar has a fresh and competitive lineup with a brand new flagship.

i see that table and think how bad we need a new 9-3
the new 9-4 will be a hit. can't arrive soon enough

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
i still say the new 9-5 is dangerously overpriced. you can buy a 5 series for that money. shit, a jaguar xf starts at 53k.....

but good news, none the less.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
yeah but those are base jags and bmws, thats a well equipped 9-5, keep that in mind. I'm sure theres room for negotiation and there are some good incentives.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
yeah but those are base jags and bmws, thats a well equipped 9-5, keep that in mind. I'm sure theres room for negotiation and there are some good incentives.
That's for sure I bought my 2000 9-5 and it had more options than a 3 series. I remember being surprised that BMWs came with vinyl seats ( never knew that before) my car stickered for 36k and the same equipped 3 sereis was 43k IIRC they started out at the same place.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Its funny that when i first looked @ the autoblog post, i didn't think saab was even on there because i scrolled to the bottom and didn't see them.... lol thats sad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts