Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help! I dont know if I should sell my 9000 or keep it. If I do sell it I would get a early 2000 9-3. I'm the only one in my county (That I have seen) that has a 9000 and everyone who has seen the car loves it and as bad as I want a 9-3, I've put a good amount of work into my car. So I was thinking.. What do you guys think?????

Should I?

·
Registered
369 Posts
coin toss?

Either a coin toss or what would Jesus do? :rolleyes:

If it floats your boat and only has the usual or minor problems why bother?

Or, go drive a 9-3 of that vintage and see how you like it. I liked my 89 9000 way more than my wife's ng. Problem was that mechanically, my 9k was a sack of schizz with electronic gremlins, leaking tranny, bad heater core and a few other issues so the pig had to go.

But handling and stuff I liked it. If your car is way high miles and you are waiting for an incident to put it down then that is another story? At least you know the history of what you have.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
stick with the 9k

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Although the 9-3 is newer, you will NOT do any better, reliability-wise than a 9000.

I have never personally owned a 9-3, but I have sure spent enough time around them, and have just seen too many horror stories about sludge buildup, cheaped-out engine internals, terrible PCV systems, etc. There are just dumb things done on a 9-3, when compared to a 9000 that I just would NOT want to ever get involved in. In my eyes, it's exactly what you would expect to end up with, when you took a well engineered and executed car, and gave it to someone whose only priority was max profit. When the 9k came out in '86, it was a stinkin' sweet car. In the next 12 years, it progressed as engineers ironed out some of the not-so-nice stuff, and added some nice creature comforts. By the time the 9000 ended its run, in my humble opinion, it represented the pinnacle of everything you could ever ask for in a car. They were fast and handled great, but were smooth and quiet. They were sleek and sporty, but have MASSIVE cargo space with the folding rear seats and hatch. They are incredible winter vehicles, and are world-renowend for their safety (moose rated!) They get 30mpg, and will run easily into the 200k mile range without batting an eye (MANY have gone much more).

When you see a 9-3 or 9-5 with 200k on the clock, its on its deathbed. There is a reason you don't see too many 9000's for sale these days. Their owners LOVE them, and absolutely drive them into the grave. Search craigslist in any part of the country and see how many 9-3's are for sale. They are a dime a dozen, and its because they aren't 1/2 the vehicle that a 9000 is.

<< chanting >> KEEP IT! KEEP IT! KEEP IT!

·
Registered
385 Posts
That looks a nice car. Odd to see the old style wheels on it.
I like their appearance better than the 'non Aero' 3 spoke ones, but they are IMO limited for performance.. if that matters?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I started in a 9K, when the tranny went I got into a 2000 9-3. I ended up driving it for 2 years and 35K miles. At first I was pleased by the 'new-ness' of the 9-3, but I couldn't stay away from the 9K's. I eventually bought a couple 9000's as second and third cars and then through financial necessity I got rid of the 9-3. I didn't like the 9-3 even half as much as my 9000's, but it gave me fewer problems and was ultimately more reliable. But for my money, I'll take the driving experience of a 9K any day over the reliability afforded by the 9-3.

*The 9-3 I got into was bought fresh off of a motor rebuild after sludge issues.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after hearing what you guys have to say I will keep my car :D I didnt really want to get rid of it just guess the how you said it 9Kwrecker is the 'new-ness' of the car that won me over. Wish there were more Saabers (LOL) in Florida. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm going through the same dilemma now mate! Its either spend some cash replacing/fixing rusty bits....then throw a load more on the tuning side. Or cut my losses and transfer everything that will fit into a 9-3 and start fresh! Or just get a completely standard black 9000 anni and swap all the go faster bits over!....really like the black ones!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I agree that the 9000 is clearly a superior car, but it's all about one's tastes and life choices. 9000's are great, but owning a 15+ year old car is not everybody's cup of tea. Maintenance, cosmetic upkeep, and needed work are all things that I can see getting on a 9000 owner's mind. After all, when a car is 15-20 years old, things wear out....paint fades, stuff rusts, and most times, cars start becoming troublesome in one way or another. At the end of the day, it's always hard going from one car to another. The 9000, at face value, is better handling and smoother. I think that reliability and speed are bothe arguable points.

9-3's, like all cars, are all about maintenance. If it's been treated well, it will be fine. My 1999 has 206k and runs like a charm....great power, reliability, etc. I'd drive anywhere in it. I agree to some degree that the 9000 can probably take more punishment, but a 9-3 shouldn't be automatically ruled out as another daily driver option. They can be found at good prices, are cheap to modify, and there are many more cosmetic upgrades available (bumpers, wheels, etc). Great cars if you find one that's been taken care of.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Keep it. I've owned a few of both. The 9000s have always been less trouble.
this. Ive also found myself working on friends 900's and 93's more

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah true. The work that I have put into my car was all because the previous owner did not follow up with preventative maintenance

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Keep it you'll thank yourself in the long run. My first car was a 97 900 turbo and I thought it was the shit until I bought my first 9k and on that first ride home I realized how shitty the suspension was on the 900. The 9k feels so much more connected to the road.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Also...your car looks uber clean, and being in Florida, you automatically remove yourself from the "cosmetic" issues of a 9000. No rust, corrosion, etc.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
after replacing my alternator twice on my 9-3 i decided i hated that car and stuck with my 9ks

·
Registered
359 Posts
You have to admit that it's nice to have the only 9k around your county. Supposedly there's a couple in Sarasota around but I've never seen em.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts