Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
900SE

I was driving down the road and she started to bog a little bit. then she cut right down on poor i put in the clutch and that was it, she died.
So i got it to the garage started her up and she had a top tickin 2 seprate knocks and a scraping sound.
Oil was good, turbo boosted fully, and temp was good. take its time for a full rebuild?

ps. i cried a little.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I had a lot of sound warnings when my b204 sludged up. Any odd noises? Whining?

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actualy it had a some kind of a whine from the belt side. i was thinkning it was an alternater at first when it died. it didn't sound like a belt squeal nor did it sound like any of a metal sound. the ticking happened to and i thought maybe it was low on oil but it wasn't. (went up in sound with the rpms, not loudness jst speed of the sound) it happened once in town and it went away. then it did it again for a mile, but it wasn't loud at all. so again i figured alternater.
i started it today and she had some smoke, so this weekend im starting to do a tear down. anyone have any free parts? lol.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yup, that was the whine i was talking about.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, thats what i thought it was at first or the alternater. but it had fluid and didn't make a noise when turning the wheel. I would STAY AWAY from Pennzoil first time using it. I use valvoline normally but this car had the P sticker on it so i thought i would stay the same.......
So i would suggest flushing your engine oil ASAP! and put in one of the oils that i have seen on here Mobile Rotalla Royal Purple, no word on valvolie but i might run Rotalla. i dont care for mobile and RP is too much for me.
I got a guy thats getting me all the specs on this car from that one site that cost $250/mo (gotta love college) As stated tomorrow starts the tear down. now how do i get some pics on here ? is it worth show my progress?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Did it sound like a powersteering pump running low on fluid?

Mine makes that sound until it warms up soemtimes under very low/idling throttle...
That sounds any awful lot like a starved oil pump. I have heard it called the death whine. Pop the serpentine belt off and if it still makes that sound when its cold its the oil pump. If that's the case then the engine has a short time left unless you clean the pick up screen.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Having had it happen to one of the cars recently, have you swapped with a known good DI? It would cause the car to stop in mid-flight.

I also would get a second opinion on the serp belt and all attached. It's also possible to pull the oil pan and see the pickuup screen and evaluate the bottom of oil pan before you start tearing the engine down.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That sounds any awful lot like a starved oil pump. I have heard it called the death whine. Pop the serpentine belt off and if it still makes that sound when its cold its the oil pump. If that's the case then the engine has a short time left unless you clean the pick up screen.
uhoh, uhhhh I guess i;ll find a shop and drop the oil pan ASAP, however its been doing it since at least last year if not more, so wouldn't it have given me issues already?

Do you think before oil pan I should pop open the valve cover? would that help me see anything?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Valve cover would give you clues too I guess. Mine didn't look too bad.

If it has been doing it that long than maybe its not a starved oil pump.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
true but i would say drop the pan just in case it could have sludge build up. droping that is much easier then what im gonna have to do. so only got the car over to the pole building (its a metal frame concrete floor) yesterday. gonna start tearing down now

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not much cash on hand right now wait for my finacial aid to come in....nmc cashiers seem to take their time..
so how much?
there was a classic 900 in tc with 190k in great shape for 1000. i would have bought that but again money

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pm sent.
so was pullin off the intake and there is oil lightly covering the inside of it..turbo problems? (car has sat below red about 1/8" before in 2nd gear but pull full boost,touching red, then in 5th it would lightly bounce, barely noticed the needle move.......the other thing it did was do it in 3rd 4th, but it would pull full boost till 3k rpm then the higher and more pedal you gave she would cut down to almost half on yellow, but this was very intermediate....any ideas? )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts