·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seam welding the subframe specifically
i remember this coming up in some thread
has anyone gone and done this?
any results? good/bad?
im planning on doing it this weekend in addition to reinstalling my 6-point brace (took it off for some repairs and have yet to reinstall)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
No one ever plans on crashing... ;)

I say go for it.
Worst comes to worst, you throw another subframe on.
Hell seam welding it may remove part of the need for the 6-point.

Regardless, I am no engineer. :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
You put the SE sway bar on yet? If not, perfect chance. That is if you plan on removing the subframe...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Yeah warping would be an issue if someone just runs one hot bead the entire way around without stopping to allow it to cool. But if you stitch weld it properly leaving a decent gap between your welds and working around it should be fine. If their is access to do most of it in the air on a lift with it all still bolted to the chassis, I would do it that way. Would act like a jig.

Is the subframe aluminum or galvanized steel? I don't remember.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If it's galvanized, make sure you wear the proper respirator. I think WIS says what the metal is. I'll check when I get home.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
If it's galvanized, make sure you wear the proper respirator. I think WIS says what the metal is. I'll check when I get home.
x 1,000,000,000

Be safe! An I do believe it would be galvanized. It is steel, I've never encountered one that appeared to be factory painted...so I would guess there's a heavy galvanized coating there.

As far as doing this...I seam welded parts of the front frame horns and other areas on the first Lemons car we raced and crashed. I noticed no difference in the car, and post crash, teh whole thing was so screwed up there was no knowing exactly what was affecting what in terms of handling.

The car did hold up to the crash very well, considering what it hit, and how hard. Or at least it held up well enough to kind of bend it out enough to keep racing. I don't attribute that to seam welding though...although I reall have no way of knowing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
theres not much you can do if you do not have a fresh air resperator. Just plan on keeping your head out of the fumes and plan on feeling sick. its prob some of the worst stuff to weld, i have tried using paint resperators and it still affects you badly. oh and make sure you have some good vents

·
Registered
348 Posts
Practice first, I have no idea how or if it will warp, but our subframes are pretty flexible so seam welding doesn't sound so absurd. Pictures and results are a must.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Also try and box in the weaker parts.

The welding of the galvanize is a problem. Def ++ on the remote air supply.

Really needs to be re-plated after, to keep it from rusting inside out.

·
Registered
593 Posts
no worries... if i find my digi cam picture will be up. results will deff be up if i do infact do this
Looks interesting, but after adding the 6pt brace I wonder how much difference it would make. It will be interesting to hear your butt-chassis (goes along with a butt-dyno) analysis.

OTOH, Fitting a subframe brace above the engine would probably make things quite rigid :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts