Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some former members and myself ran the first local SCCA RallyCross of the season yesterday in southern MN.

The venue was great, but the conditions were terrible. Ground that had been damp and "firm" the day before turned into Ice when the temps dropped. The ground was rock hard, and once cars started running it developed a layer of slime...but still stayed rock hard under it.

http://www.digitalgopher.net/gallery/7548044_ZjLqf#488083223_7dTn8

There are a few fun ones of my car, and plenty of good shots of the many, many, many Subarus!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
man they look good when they get dirty...

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There were tons of cones hit with the conditions being as slipery as they were. Also a whole lot of people would slide off course and/or miss gates.

I tagged plenty of cones myself (I usually run clean, maybe 1 cone per event) but I did not miss any gates. My car spun several times with Adouglas behind the wheel, and Topher's car hit probably more cones and missed more gates than any other car there, with both him and the guy co-driving the car :lol:

It was tons of fun even though the conditions were not ideal. After Adouglas spun the 9-3 he was able to keep it near the limits and did pretty well! He and I probably beat several of the AWD cars there. Topher and his co-driver finished DFL and 2nd to DFL.

Another set here:

http://subiewrx.smugmug.com/gallery/7548241_ae4PT#487631385_vg5Av

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it was worse in some regards. My car shimmies like hell 50-65mph (hopefully just a bunch of mud in the wheels), and the alignment is slightly off. Not bad, not pulling, but I can tell it is off.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Wow thats some sloppy fun. Hate to be a corner worker on that one.

All we have around here is sharp flintrock and limestone that will cut about any tires. We ran some years ago but never found a nice enough field that would not cut up the cars. Michelin TRX on a 99 ftw. :)

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thats some sloppy fun. Hate to be a corner worker on that one.

All we have around here is sharp flintrock and limestone that will cut about any tires. We ran some years ago but never found a nice enough field that would not cut up the cars. Michelin TRX on a 99 ftw. :)
Corner working was interesting with the mud spray and all of the car sliding around off the course. You really had to choose your spot wisely.

And yeah, being a well groomed soybean field it was definitely good stuff to run on. The owner is really good about keeping this field available for us, and keeps it in very fine shape. We did a venue last year where there were some nice mini boulders, but this course has had most or all of those picked up already for us!

This one was a good .75 mile long, however we did one last year that was more like 1.25 miles at this location. It utilized an upper section of the field that we did not touch this time.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
once the 9k is done im gona do quite a few of these events this year, looks awesome, do you need a co driver for rally cross or can you go solo?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that looks like so much fun, nice pics
It was tons of fun, and they are nice pics but I didn't take them. There were swarms of guys with DSLRs out there, but so far only two have posted photos. Once guy has around 2300 taken, but he has posted nothing...

·
Registered
136 Posts
awesome! a in a few of the other shots it looks as though the 9-3 is a hovercraft of sorts pushing mud away with the front lip. wooooo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, MN SCCA has never heard of a pointer cone!? :roll:

When we run slippery events in New England we try to put less outside cones down on the course so the corner workers don't have to run so far and so people who want to get it a little sideways can have their fun without getting cone penalties too (they don't get faster times being sideways anyway! :p)

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, MN SCCA has never heard of a pointer cone!? :roll:

When we run slippery events in New England we try to put less outside cones down on the course so the corner workers don't have to run so far and so people who want to get it a little sideways can have their fun without getting cone penalties too (they don't get faster times being sideways anyway! :p)

There are always new people at each event, and everyone who drives is supposed to work the course. It is bound to happen that someone doesn't know how cones are scored - and the people running the event had never been event master before...they forgot to mention that little bit of info.

As far as cones on the outside, I agree. I kept moving them further out anyway, the only people hitting them were the people who were going so wide that it probably was going to take them several seconds to get back on their line, or they were going backwards, or just straight off course (or all of the aforementioned).

The conditions were just crazy, truely a "go slow to go fast" event.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts