Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to drop in and say hello to everybody - not a Saab owner yet, but we're working on that.

So my wife and I were looking for something to replace her 2007 Honda Civic, which she finds boring and I hate. It's too small, too slow, and generally boring.

Anyway, After talking to a few friends (who own Saabs) we decided we would start looking for a Saab 9-3 convertible.

Finally found something we like - a 2000 9-3 vert - dark green with tan interior. this car is in AMAZINGLY good condition, and only has 54k on the clock.

The price is a little higher than we really wanted to pay, but I had my dad go look at the car and drive it. I sent him because, while he lives a mile and a half away from the car, I am 700 miles away from it. he said we'd be stupid to pass it up, so I called the guy and am in the process of unloading a car (should be sold tomorrow) so I can give him some money to hold it for me until I can get down there.

The only possible hitch is that, as i said, I cant get there and cant get the money i need to buy it for about 3 more weeks. I'm hoping he will let me give him $2500 down or something to hold it for 3 weeks. That way I can have time to get things sorted out, get a 1 way plane ticket, and get my butt down there so I can drive it back.

This is what we're (hopefully) getting:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Welcome to the link! Glad you found a non-boring car to replace the honda :D

It looks nice - but how much is the asking price? I'd be very cautious buying ANY car sigh un-seen. Pictures aren't always acurate or current... and Saab's can have issues you won't know about w/out a good drive. I wish you the best of luck, as it does look Very nice. 54K on a 2000 9-3 Vert sounds like a $5000-$8000 car to me if it checks out clean. It's almost certain it will need some repair or upgrade before you can drive it daily with no worries. (meaning a PCV update - perhaps a belt and tensioner) It is almost due for a 60K service which can address all that and more preventive maint.

Keep us posted, and again good luck!

·
10,303 Posts
Looks nice. If you plan on driving back home with it, make sure you take it to a shop and have the pan scraped for sludge. Occasionally these cars lock up on you on the way home from purchase.

I would be asking WHY wasn't it driven very much. I expect that car to have tripple the milage.

Also I would assume that the fella would hold it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's holding it. My dad is also taking it to be inspected at a saab dealership down there, as well as looking over it himself. I'm pretty confident in this car being in great shape though - this guy is pretty well known in the area for having top notch cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
of course, i would love to know where you guys find these saab 93 convertibles with 50k miles on them for 4500-5000, and if it's gonna break on me on the way home anyway, maybe I'll just get another volvo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its a shame you arent getting a saab, they are so much fun. Good luck with the new car and maybe down the road you will give saabs another chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks topless, but really, if folks who supposedly LIKE saabs are telling me things like "it'll probably break down on your drive home" and "its certain that you'll need repairs", then it probably isnt something I want to get involved with. With volvos, i KNOW we can drive the snot out of them and not break them. It's unfortunate, but if thats how the cars are, then im gonna go with something thats worth my money.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Oh I didn't mean it isn't worth the money, it's great and tons of fun, just depends on ur priorities. For me I have the time to learn and tinker so I love it. But ur coming from a civic so it might not be that maintenance free.

And for what it's worth a few friends have volvos of all ages and they have the same bullshit problems that my Saab has had. Must be a Swedish thing.

Good luck with the car hunt, n stick around we're nice people!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Somehow I still think my 89s are worth the money being as they are alot of fun and not that hard to work on, I mean really, if I can do it, so can anyone else. :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My friend's with volvos have worse luck than I do with my SAABs. Everyone here was being honest, they take TLC, not like a honda. Enjoy the volvo, just know in the back of your mind you would have enjoyed the SAAB more :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts