Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's too dark to take better pictures now but this is what a $600 spg with 230k miles looks like :mrgreen:

Quick story:

Yesterday afternoon my father was browsing CL, (its pretty much become a routine for him ever since he retired) He stumbled upon this listing

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2023040976.html

I called the guy, spoke to him for a little, asked about the car etc He had bought the car a few weeks ago but he ended up losing his license for one reason or another and needed to sell the car. To him it was just an ordinary high mileage 900 to me it was the perfect winter beater. My dad and i decided it looked good so we drove to Philly today, about a 100 miles each way. Car has minimal rust for it's age. Undercarriage is pretty solid, with the usual surface rust, no rotting thankfully. It has a cherry bomb installed after the cat and then straight pipes to the back so it has a nice sound to it.

It needs a proper tune up, and has an erratic idle. I noticed a couple vac lines weren't connected but didn't point it out. We used the erratic idle as negotiating leverage. Only other issue with the car is the sticky ignition switch, ill create a thread for that eventually.

The car handled the 100 mile drive back like a champ. I really don't have any plans for the car as of now apart from the tune up. I have a set of super aeros in the garage which will probably get swapped on soon (once it starts snowing the snows will get thrown on instead) and it needs a new head unit. I don't think i own a single cassette so the tape deck won't do. I was going to purchase a set of snow tires for the 328 and drive it in the winter but it's probably going to get parked for the winter some time next month. It's getting too cold for the dunlops to work properly, i'v had the rear step out slightly a couple of times.

More pictures tomorrow after it gets a quick wash. Stay tuned....

Pics from the ad

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Nice!

FYI, 91 was the last year for the SPG.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's awesome! Hell, where are you guys finding such good deals!? Honestly, though I know it's just patience. As well as always browsing cl. haha

As for the tape deck, just throw one of those 3.5mm to tape things in, and listen to your iPod/mp3 player, better than any fm transmitter in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice!

FYI, 91 was the last year for the SPG.
Thats what i thought, i guess it's kinda "rare" :p

That's awesome! Hell, where are you guys finding such good deals!? Honestly, though I know it's just patience. As well as always browsing cl. haha

As for the tape deck, just throw one of those 3.5mm to tape things in, and listen to your iPod/mp3 player, better than any fm transmitter in my opinion.
haha, thats actually a really good idea, didn't think of that. The best part about that is, I'm almost sure i have one sitting in my drawer upstairs :cool:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, it has a whale tail too. The guy said the PO installed it off a Porsche. No idea if thats true or not because i'v never actually seen a 900 whale tail before. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and you guys can tell me whats going on back there.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I spy a whaletail too! Nice snag!
Edit: wow, nice ninja edit, didn't even catch it until just now.

·
Registered
474 Posts
haha, thats actually a really good idea, didn't think of that. The best part about that is, I'm almost sure i have one sitting in my drawer upstairs :cool:
I've got like at least 4 or 5 around haha. Just cuz, 89' jetta had a tape deck, my 94' 900 - tape deck, and my dad's 9-5 whenever I drive it or ride in it, use my iPod over the tape. Plus my current c900 - aftermarket sony (yuckkk) tape deck - that actually is taking a shit it seems as of the other day.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Oh, it has a whale tail too. The guy said the PO installed it off a Porsche. No idea if thats true or not because i'v never actually seen a 900 whale tail before. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and you guys can tell me whats going on back there.
A guy in my town a long time ago had a porsche whale tail on his spg.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be interested in the rubber piece of that whale tail if you wanted to sell it :)
Never, :evil: I knew whenever i finally bought an SPG it would have a whale tail and louvers. Whale tail is there so all i need are louvers lol know where i can get one? ;)

and thanks guys

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
You know a whaletail just stupidly sold for more then you paid for the entire car.

....I'd love to have one, but prices are stupid.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I've got some head units around if you want one. Nothing fancy besides being able to play CD's but they are free. :)

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got some head units around if you want one. Nothing fancy besides being able to play CD's but they are free. :)
haha that works, and now that i have my own saab again, when are we having that shop day?

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Well, that depends on how drunk she is.
Given The Beard's tendency for female proximal intoxication and/or contact highs, I won't ever truly know how drunk she is, is.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts