Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my wheels back from being soda blasted. Will obviously need some work before painting.

Anybody have a suggested progression of grit (s) or any secrets?

Thanks
d

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All I can say is Duplicolor sucks. I have sanded painted, sanded painted etc. and I still can't get the finish I want.

Ordered some Wurth paint. Hope that goes better.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The biggest issue you'll have redoing CE wheels is the outer edge. It is not polished, it is machined on a lathe. They paint the whole wheel and then machine the paint off the outer edge. If you look closely you can see fine machined lines. That being said, if you are DIYing you can go with ever finer grits of wet paper (finishing up with 2000) and follow up with metal polish which will give you a nice shiny edge. The initial grit you use will depend on the condition of the base metal. If you've got salt pitting you'll need to start with something course enough to get through it. I wouldn't start with anything courser than a 220 paper though or you'll be trying to remove the sanding marks forever.

Wurth products are good, but as far as I know, they don't make anything that matches the CE wheel color.

If I haven't mentioned it in any of your other posts on the subject, don't paint the lug nut seats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. IN this case, I am painting some super aero's. However, I did take to heart the non painting of the lug nut seals. I found that nickles fit there quite nicely.

d

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Dave...how did they look after soda blasting? Is it a smooth aluminum finish now, or does the soda blasting pit them any? Pics if you have one? I've got a TURD set of older Aeros that I may consider getting after someday.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were pitted. Way too much pitting imo. Would not do it again . . at least with this person. Will try and get some pics.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
almost sounds like you're into a situation where you'll need some high-build primer, then sanding, then paint....just like a car.

I'm not sure if powdercoating evens out pitting as it bakes or not....

Sorry to hear its turned into a cluster F.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Soda blasting pitts? Hmmm, I wasn't aware of that.

The un-machined (polished) part of the wheels is supposed to be a little pitted/textured. It makes the paint stick better. Smooth aluminum doesn't hold paint well. I used regular aircraft stripper on my Aeros and that's the way it was underneath the painted part. Looked a little rougher than casting finish. I just hit them with a self-etching primer and sanded a bit with 400-grit before painting--YMMV.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I picked up a ratty set of 16' Aeros three years ago. The clearcoat was flaking over the machined part, so I had them turned again and they came out looking great. I did not clearcoat them since the centers were in great shape and they still look good. Don't even bother with sanding unless you plan on polishing the lip to a ridiculous shine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can do them mostly with just polish the right stuff of course, I used three types from an eBay kit, the hard bit getting all the old crud off without causing damage to the rim.

YEP THAT IS THE SAME WHEEL :cool:

Full Refurb Here with more pics.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172692

1 - 11 of 11 Posts