Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Funny that this was on Jalopnik today too: http://jalopnik.com/5622667/how-a-cadaver-made-your-car-safer

I think that the only reason this might have been kept under wraps is because of the sensitive and macabre nature of the subject, but it totally makes sense, and I bet that GM and SAAB aren't the only manufacturers that do it. Read the Jalopnik article and it chronicles how the NIHS (National Institute of Highway Safety) does the same.

It makes sense to use cadavers because no computer simulation is going to come out 100% like reality. The same reason why they crash perfectly good vehicles to verify what was predicted in a computer model. A quote from the Jalopnik article: "as good as computer models are, they still can't capture the exact essence of how human tissue reacts."

I think people would willingly donate their bodies for this purpose if they knew what kind of car they would crash in. Me, for example, I would let them do it if they crashed me in a supercar: Bugatti, Koenigsegg, etc... LOL.

·
7,595 Posts
As the Klingons say, "dispose of the body how ever you see fit, it is nothing but an empty shell now"

yeah, odd but once you are dead you are dead. For all I care, they could grind the dead up and put them back into cattle feed. It's sound recycling.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
they dont mind....they be dead....
Precisely. They've got the day off. They've got the rest of the days off.

As the Klingons say, "dispose of the body how ever you see fit, it is nothing but an empty shell now"

yeah, odd but once you are dead you are dead. For all I care, they could grind the dead up and put them back into cattle feed. It's sound recycling.
We are not getting a cow at Reading, bud.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

mmmm - no see, that is how things like MAD COW get started... good try, try again.

The only thing I like about cemeteries is the fact that its "preserving" open land from being built on with ugly modern homes and condos. This too is the only reason I'll accept a golf course as they are in the same boat IMHO.

I'm putting in my will - Viking Burial @ Sea - Put me on a hand made wooden raft, light the fire and push me out into international waters. Family and friends can enjoy a cruise on international waters and do what they want to morn or celebrate my going - Sounds good to me anyways.

I'm sure they volunteered for it.
Survey Guy: "So when you are dead - which vehicle would you like to ride in as a crash test dummy"
Dead Guy: "Damn - Ferrari is taken and it's down to a Saab and a god damn KIA - I died once, so why would I want to risk coming back to life and being killed again - give me the Saab!"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
We all love SAAB, but this practice is beyond strange....it's just REALLY creepy. I understand it leads to more realistic crash testing, which in turn should translate into less deaths (pretty ironic), but at face value, I can't deny that I find it disturbing. I know people have dedicated their bodies to science, but would have they if they had knowledge that their body was going to be desecrated in a crash test? One thing is for certain: I feel incredibly sorry for the poor people who have to clean the post crash test.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We all love SAAB, but this practice is beyond strange....it's just REALLY creepy. I understand it leads to more realistic crash testing, which in turn should translate into less deaths (pretty ironic), but at face value, I can't deny that I find it disturbing. I know people have dedicated their bodies to science, but would have they if they had knowledge that their body was going to be desecrated in a crash test? One thing is for certain: I feel incredibly sorry for the poor people who have to clean the post crash test.
Yeah, this is just weird. Definitely creepy. They can make a pretty good crash dummy, why don't they just leave it at that?

I wish they could do something about the car too, not having to destroy a perfectly good engine, suspension, etc.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wish they could do something about the car too, not having to destroy a perfectly good engine, suspension, etc.
im sure they would donate you the seats ans steering wheel if you asked..:shock:

seriously tho.. this is creepy.... wonder if they gave the families of the deceased a new saab??

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I really don't see why anyone would see this as creepy - I mean, I agree that the one with the job cleaning up afterwords would have a "bad job" - but hey, someone has to do it and there are far worse jobs to be had. Besides - that guy prolly has first dibs @ parts when they are all done collecting research (body and car parts...) :)

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Medical students desecrate bodies all the time in the name of learning, scientists doubly so. Maybe it's not as violent and it's usually more controlled, but, that's just the nature of their work.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
It was only a matter of time I guess. If you are going to make a car crash test worthy for humans, you will have to test on humans as there is no substitute that can recreate the exact effects of crash forces compared to a real human body.

Lord almighty I feel sorry for the engineers dealing with those cadavers, ick.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think Ford has done this also, theres an article on autoblog, i could be wrong though, i didn't bother to read it lol, but the title says something about Ford using cadavers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts