Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a 2011 Saab? If so, you'll soon have the ability to watch it come together before your eyes; Saab is installing cameras in its Trollhättan factory. Customers will receive text messages with photos of their cars as they reach certain points in the assembly line. Eventually, Saab plans to add a real-time video feed of the cars being built. This sounds way more interesting than most reality television shows.

In addition to the cameras going in, Saab will soon offer customers the opportunity to take delivery of their cars right from the factory. The automaker says it is moving back towards building cars with a more personal touch, by manufacturing cars to order rather than churning out a steady stream of vehicles.
The second paragraph is what I like!

REF: SAABWORLD

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Looks pretty neat. I'd love to some day be able to take European delivery of a car.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thats pretty cool.

Something similar I saw is Chevy has a program for ZR1 buyers to go to the factory and build the motor for their car. Still has the same warranty too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's not only for the killer ZR it includes the Z06 also.

Worst move in my life other than perhaps .. hold that thought ... was selling my 2000 base. Sweet 6 speed black on black dream and if you kept a charge on the battery it was dead reliable.

Warning to any potential Vette owner. Keep the battery up and :)

Let the battery drop and :(

One of the first things you learn on the forums. Of course that is why you hit the forum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Didn't know it was for the z06 as well. Theres some motivation for me to do well in school!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It's not only for the killer ZR it includes the Z06 also.

Worst move in my life other than perhaps .. hold that thought ... was selling my 2000 base. Sweet 6 speed black on black dream and if you kept a charge on the battery it was dead reliable.

Warning to any potential Vette owner. Keep the battery up and :)

Let the battery drop and :(

One of the first things you learn on the forums. Of course that is why you hit the forum. :rolleyes:
I'm finding the GTO battery has the same issues. I think there is a constant trickle-draw on the battery and it it doesn't get driven regularly, will kill it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Saab needs to allow additional body colors to order or customers being allowed to mix their own paint color on a computer. That sounds like a cheap easy to implement customization.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Saab needs to allow additional body colors to order or customers being allowed to mix their own paint color on a computer. That sounds like a cheap easy to implement customization.
Definitely agree with you there. The more customizable a car is, the more personal and unique it becomes. Such can really strike a chord with buyers and inspire increasing levels of brand loyalty. A car isn't just a car anymore, it becomes "your car, built your way." Only problems with custom paint and other things are higher costs of future paint work and things of that nature.

I think the "you can watch your car being built" thing is a great idea. It's innovative and should cost little to nothing for SAAB. In addition, it's a great quality control measure for employees when they know that they will be on camera at all times. Such can translate into higher quality, something that means everything in the automotive industry.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Would be very easy to track custom paint colors

Say a customer get the option of going on a website & designing their own unique paint that gets applied to new car at the factory it would be easy to track.

The paint code could easily be matched to the VIN for any dealer later on to identify & request a mix. Repacement body work never comes prepainted so Saab wouldn't have to carry additional inventory.

This is so different from some back alley repair shop creating some wierd paint that is completely untraceable for matching purposes.

Lowes /Home depot can do it with a $25 can of house paint why not Saab & be a first in the industry with brand building consumer focus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts