Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is Monday Night at Fort Washington - Ian and his Dad were there and Ian's friend with the Killer WRX showed too (forget your name bro - sorry) as Well as DeLorean and myself... oh and we saw Marc Fails...... he seemed to avoid all of us rather well :roll: :wink:

Here's the pics - then I'll get into some details - Vids are of the 9-2X on the course driven by DeLorean filmed by ME :p :D ENJOY!

Above you'll See Ian's Dad driving a 9-2X Aero and Ian taking shotgun.

Here we find DeLorean and Ian's father over top Ian's 89 900T reading over DeLorean's new addition to his library - the c900 Manual Transmission rebuilders guide. :p

This is DeLoreans 88 SPG with newly painted and fixed roof and Dual Vent hood - nice SPG!

This is Ian's friends WILD WRX - this thing couldn't get any tighter with suspension! WOW - and it looked awesome too. Good meeting you Ian's friend :)

Here are the Vid Links -
*Please Right click and "Save target as" to see vids if clicking links don't work*
http://home.comcast.net/~burnsside42/SaabLink/MOV07180.MPG
http://home.comcast.net/~burnsside42/SaabLink/MOV07181.MPG
http://home.comcast.net/~burnsside42/SaabLink/MOV07182.MPG
http://home.comcast.net/~burnsside42/SaabLink/MOV07183.MPG

Ok - so there's the images and vids now for the details of day one of two.

Got there and they had everything outdoors this year - registration and all (Food included) and DeLorean got registered no problems (he's not quite 21 yet...) and then they check me... boy, last year they didn't even check - well she tells me I can't drive, only can ride along... well I just went along with that and filled out the rest of my papers. So when I get all my things i noticed they "stared" my tag to drive - so after a few ride alongs with DeLorean i folded that over and sure enough - they didn't catch it so a test driving I went :p

My Reviews -

The "Saab" 9-2X n/a:
Felt decent off the line for a n/a - handled OK - but wasn't all there. Interior was bleh - but for a spiffy Sub - it wasn't all that shabby.

The "Saab" 9-2X Aero Turbcharged:
Drove fine - some serious turbo lag however - this was the biggest down point of the car. I'm sure there will be computer sweeps and updates however which can correct this - then this car willbe really decent for the life of the motor. The Plus - the steering rack was awesome - response was great - vibrations were barely there. Cornered fairly well - even with 4 full sized guys :p (Till they asked us to leave... but I'll leave that for someone else to tell...)

The VW Jetta 1.8T:
Peppy and Quick no doubt, very VWesc inside - felt kinda cheap and like a tuperware convention really - but when it came to the turns - woah - talk about sloppy. A big upgrade this car was in need of was some SERIOUS sway bars. Sadly - this was not the worse car there - close to it tho.

The Volvo 2.4 n/a S40:
I was impressed - for a mid size sedan - it moved quite well. A zippy car as long as you don't need to swerve too often. Once you get that body going side to side - it's seriously felt. At one point the body was all the way left and slammed back right with a loud popping snap - we're still not sure what that was.... but it was a decent car otherwise for a Volvo...

The Volvo S40? T5:
WOW! DeLorean earned himself a black "X" for driving this speed demond! Brake torque this puppy and you'll hear some serious tires spinning! This car took off like a bat outta hell - and handled about the same as the n/a unfortunatly. So in short - made for one quick and ball hitting good ride :p :twisted:

The Acura RSX:
Not a great looking car - interior was OK - even accelerated OK - but once you get into a swerve like a slalom - the power steering boggs up and is rendered useless - very dangerous and earned this car the worst ratting from me - what happened Acura ?! (thanks Justin for correcting me :p )

The Mini Cooper:
Tho disapointed it was not a "S" model (Supercharged" it was still pretty light on it's toes. This car was more then cute - it was a auto crossing child built for corners. I loved the feel one I got into it. It was just so quick in the corners and the feel on the road was pretty nice for a Cheap Bimmer :wink: Next time a 5 speed "S" model please! Fun car no question - but the "S" is needed.

So there's my review in short - overall good time - nice ppl - good looking girls, and good test track. Time for a few others to post their opinions!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
after talking to our local mechanic, he says the 9-2 turbo does really kickin till about 4 grand, like a scoobie, and the rep brought an aero, with the autobox in it, and bernie, the mechanic, said there was a huge gap between gears

mini cooper s, i have driven a well modded one at work (i wash cars at a high end used car place) and just around the lot, it felt really good to drive. The PO had a short shifter on it that made it nearly imposible to get into reverse, but still a cool little car

the 9-2's tranny is out of the subaru, but saab made it 50/50 front rear, while subaru has it more to the front, i dont know the actual number though

sounds like that was fun, too bad im not anywhere near where those are being heald

·
7,595 Posts
AWESOME! all 4 of us (me [DeLorean], Ian [89saab900], one of Ians friends, and Shore [Burnsside42] got tossed out for driving too hard what, they need to use these cars tomorrow? I had been talked to several times for putting the cars into 4 wheel drifts, but after Ians friend (sorry, I forget his name too) took the 92X aero with all 4 of us in it, balls out top speed on the road course, as soon as we pulled in and the guy walked up, I think we all knew what was going to happen then :lol: Shore shot a few videos of me driving the 92X aero and I think we'll all agree it's a really nice car. I liked the Volvo, got going really fast but it had a "big car" feel to it. I hated the RSX, but I think part of the problem with that was the steering rack was starting to fail, it was also slow... the VW Jetta, nothing special... it moved OK, handled fair, and was overall, a bland car. The Mini was nice, probably the best handler there. I liked the 92X, cornered REALLY well however one of the main things that bugged me was the turbo lag. off the line, it was horrible... I think even my C-900 could out run it on a straight line.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
first of all, i'm glad you had a good time, second, that wrx doesn't look like it has a whole lot done

second, i thought that acura made the rsx not honda, unless they had a japanesse version.

and i just love how in the picture with ian and his dad in the 92x how ian is hanging onto the "oh shit" bar like there's no tomorrow, made me chuckle, i wish things like this would happen when i have a license.

~justin

·
7,595 Posts
saabguy said:
first of all, i'm glad you had a good time, second, that wrx doesn't look like it has a whole lot done

second, i thought that acura made the rsx not honda, unless they had a japanesse version.

and i just love how in the picture with ian and his dad in the 92x how ian is hanging onto the "oh shit" bar like there's no tomorrow, made me chuckle, i wish things like this would happen when i have a license.

~justin
Honda, Acura, same thing... It's like saying "I thought that that Eagle Vision and that Chrysler Concord were different cars!" :wink:

the only reason Acura exists is because Hondy realized that they could re-badge their cars for the US, charge more money for them, and people would not only pay it, but buy twice as many cars from them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes good times.

As for review: Jetta felt like a C900T, 9-2X was like a larger Mini-Cooper, Mini Cooper was the best, Volvo's were like a huge boat if you got passengers to lean the right way that helped in corners, RSX just sucked perhaps a type R or S or whatever would be better.

I hope it proves to be a nice for everyone tomorow, as in only 30ppl showing up and GREAT weather!

BTW Honda is Acura......in Japan Acura doesn't even extist so i'm told.

Ian

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Great post, Burns! :twisted: ...

That's definitely the way to drive hard: with OPM -- other people's money!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet deal Ian - and thanks Mike - I try to do my best to keep everyone happy! lol I'll get more fun tonight when i go for drive two :lol: 8)

·
10,303 Posts
After reading this I died laughing, I called Bunrside, left a message, and called Ian and talked to him about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't wait to get to the one in CT, I'll ask if the PA crew ruined any of the cars.

Why wouldn't Marc Fails talk to anybody. That was the crew I was hanging with last year, since I didn't recognize BS42 and Big D.

·
7,595 Posts
Why wouldn't Marc Fails talk to anybody. That was the crew I was hanging with last year, since I didn't recognize BS42 and Big D.
well we didn't talk to him, he didn't talk to us. The last conversation we had on TSR he was kind of.... upset cause we (and others) passed this slow moving NG-900 at saabtoberfest. he didn't seem happy, oh well :roll:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DeLorean said:
well we didn't talk to him, he didn't talk to us. The last conversation we had on TSR he was kind of.... upset cause we (and others) passed this slow moving NG-900 at saabtoberfest. he didn't seem happy, oh well :roll:
and I was trying to merge back into the Saab line after getting caught in real traffic too - they didn't like that one either.... And Ian - i heard that "Ben" called... lol

·
7,595 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
DeLorean said:
and I was trying to merge back into the Saab line after getting caught in real traffic too - they didn't like that one either.... And Ian - i heard that "Ben" called... lol
Yeah, I mean... shit happens. get over it

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Nice write up. I bet it was pretty fun 8)

·
Registered
363 Posts
saabguy said:
that wrx doesn't look like it has a whole lot done
~justin
Owner is my friend, ralley-crosses and auto-crosses alot.

It HAD alot done to it, the owner resorted back to having the fasted WRX with stock parts. When that pic was taken it was basically stock accept for the up-pipe, wheels, morette headlights, and suspension which is REALLY REALLY nice and hard to come by.

He plans to get an ecutec ecu piggy-back system.

So yes looks can be decieving.

Ian

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MORE PHOTO'S FROM NIGHT 2

Night 2 - didn't drive much (only one lap) they caught me for being too young... but oh well - I really didn't care - i got away with it the first night. I had some nice conversations with the Saab Girls there - really informed the one was. So on with the pics!

I have more vids - but i need someone with a larger host size to upload and link them - i don't have enough space to do it. Please IM me if you can host 7 - 43mb of vids :p 8) I have some really killer ones (no sound however)
Good Times - and My dad enjoyed himself too.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW - for the reccord ( I was reading the Proving grounds thread on SC - but since i can't post there I will here) We wore out a FULL set of tires on one of the cars - but they didn't say which (Monday night) so they had to rush to go out and buy 4 new ones for Tuesday night. This is what the one girl told me when i was talking to her - so it's prolly safe to say we did a good job ;) :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
saab90089 said:
Yes good times.

BTW Honda is Acura......in Japan Acura doesn't even extist so i'm told.

Ian
Acura = Honda
Lexus = Toyota
Infiniti = Nissan

These companies came out with their "sister" marques for the US market specifically (not sure about Canada, though) - everywhere else in the world the same cars are sold with the parent company's name - i.e. Honda NSX, NOT Acura NSX - the reason for this is that in the US, people associate the brand name with a particular price range and hence prestige level that is very hard to overcome - so it's easier to just give it a new brand name - this example was first set by the US automakers - where Chrysler would sell the same car as a Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge, but market it differently because, for example, Chrysler buyers were a different demographic from Plymouth and Dodge buyers.

Where Lexus can compete well with Mercedes and BMW for the luxury market, Toyota (brand name) would have a hard time getting the necessary mindshare to do so.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i drove an aero model as well....and being based off the WRX wich my friend has (2004 model) i was very very dissapointed in how the 9-2x drove as said earlier PLENTY of turbo lag and its AWD didnt seem as beefy, didnt bite as hard as the WRXs. and the price was already around 28-30k and that was without the leather package....i was dissapointed! and the inside the only thing SAAB is the badge, oh same on the outside! so i told the dealer i hated it and he let me test drive an '00 viggen they had, oh wow i love them viggens!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts