Saab Link Forums banner

Saab PhoeniX Concept

2K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  Trollhättan Bil 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Aren't concept cars supposed to boast massive performance and what not? The car looks like its going 300mph, but when you read that it has a 1.6 liter 4-banger and bring 200hp to the table....it feels like I've just come out of hyperdrive and the stars in the galaxy aren't blurred anymore.

#9 ·
I'm guess its a fairly lightweight car, plus the electric motor will probably help it get off the line pretty quickly, plus i'm sure there would be more engine options at some point in whatever hits production. I have mixed feelings, but its not bad overall. The taillights remind me of an old pontiac kinda.

#12 ·
Pass.

Looks like a very generic concept car. If you showed me this and said it was a Ford, Mazda, Hyundai, or something I'd believe you. The only thing "saabish" are the wheels.
You're missing a lot of the details, such as the Saab logo incorporated into the rear brake lights, the Griffin logo structurally incorporated into the front fender/bumper/hood molding, etc.

I'd suggest you have a closer look and then comment.

#18 ·
Just in case you were actually serious...

My point is that Saab enthusiasts shouldn't have to look at the badge to recognize that it's a Saab. Step about four feet away from your laptop, maybe squint a bit, and pretend I told you "this is the new Mazda TurduckeN Concept" or the just-revealed LutfiskBot from Transformers 3. Believable, no?

#20 ·
Just in case you were actually serious...

My point is that Saab enthusiasts shouldn't have to look at the badge to recognize that it's a Saab. Step about four feet away from your laptop, maybe squint a bit, and pretend I told you "this is the new Mazda TurduckeN Concept" or the just-revealed LutfiskBot from Transformers 3. Believable, no?
you make an interesting point.

#22 ·
I imagine victor had this concept car ready to reveal as a future spyker and in light of recent developments chose to rebadge it. Whether this is the case or not, id like saab to pull a sports coupe out of its ass for a 70k flagship. Not much financial sense in it, but whatev.

As long as a 9-1 based on the mini or alfa 500 chassis gets built in the meantime, let em smoke whatever it is that made this concept happen.

#41 · (Edited)
#35 ·
^It does look pretty cool from that angle.

The only thing that really looks like the 92 on the car to me is the way the black "rear window" or whatever it is tapers toward the center as it approaches the tail. So basically, the part of the car above the shoulders, minus the wings.

#36 ·
i think making a sports car that doesnt look exactly like every other saab ever made is a good idea for the company.. gotta get people in the dealerships. the recent thread on here about "ignorant" people is a perfect example. majority of people who dont like saab, dont like them because how they look. and therefore will never get in one to test drive. and in turn never realize they like the brand..

if there is a car on the road that instantly grabs your attention and you think to yourself, wow what kind of car is that?? is that a new nissan or mazda?? nope, HOLY CRAP ITS A SAAB!!!

this gets the mass market thinking...i would really love this car. but i have kids and a family, well while the wife is at work im gonna go to the dealership to take a look at that car, maybe i can convince her i need one...

now you have joe schmoe in the dealership drooling over this exotic sports car(that he cant have) then he looks over and BAM the new 9-3 or 9-5 is there. and now is his chance to actually OWN a saab, yes the same company that made this fancy sports car.

#45 ·
No...

Castriota referenced the Ursaab to denote the founders of Saab aeromotive engineering background, what with being aeroplane/jet designers/engineers first and foremost, which is the reason why the Ursaab resembles a "wing plane fuselage with a teardrop canopy laid atop of it..." (just as Castriota mentioned), and is the styling cue that Castriota followed in his design of the PhoeniX Concept.

Again, a .25 drag co-efficient.

Further, I personally do not appreciate, not even in the least bit, Bangles' condescending attitude/demeanor during his conversation with Castriota. It was juvenile and tells me that he (Bangle) is actually jealous of what Castriota has accomplished that he, himself, could not despite all of his years at it with BMW.

Instead, he should have congratulated Castriota on his accomplishment instead of patting him on he shoulder as though to comfort him for committing a fau pau, which he (Castriota) did not...No...He nailed it because automotive designers have been striving for decades to achieve a minimalistic drag co-efficient without sacrificing interior/cabin space, something that only aeroplane engineers comprehend the necessity of.

#46 · (Edited)
Again, a .25 drag co-efficient.
^^Ugh. This is like saying UrSaab and the PhoeniX are both Saabs because they both have seats and engines and 4 wheels. No one is arguing that aero wasn't a part of Saab from the beginning. SO YOU CAN STOP WITH THAT ARGUMENT NOW. People are saying it doesn't LOOK like how they think a Saab should look. Because it doesn't. Air might flow over the car very well. Congratulations to the designers in that respect. But that doesn't make it a Saab, no matter how many times you say 0.25.

In other news, Bangle is hilarious.

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.