Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first snow this week. We went up into the mountains for turkey day to see family.

With all this snow and hills I was curious about this "winter" mode when I press the "W" button. It seems to limit the power when starting from a stop. My guess would be to limit torque and prevent slipping. Anyone know more about it?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Liking the rims.

Winter does just that, lowers the torque when starting and prevents the transmission from shifting down too much. The manual has something about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe winter mode tries to make it so you start off in third gear.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never used it before.
I was wondering if was an active/closed loop or passive/open loop system. If all it does is throw into 3rd to lower the torque multiple coming out of the gear box, it sounds like it's a passive system. I was thinking it would be pretty cool if it worked in conjunction with TCS to limit torque and apply braking when necessary.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liking the rims.

Winter does just that, lowers the torque when starting and prevents the transmission from shifting down too much. The manual has something about it.
I bought them for $125 on CL in horribly thrashed condition. Some of the worst curbage I have ever seen on a wheel in one piece. JB weld, a hand sander and some wheel paint have resurrected them. I have a thing about paying full price for anything...

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Yep, winter mode is simply the transmission starting off in 3rd gear paired with a somewhat high stall converter. It is pretty effective at times but I felt like a gentle right foot with out the winter mode activated could do the job just as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.